How would you make your money go further on a fixed income?

We are on a fixed income and I was wondering if anybody knew how to get the money to go further, on groceries,and the bills, plus have some to live on. I manly buy store brand--groceries,I come out cheaper. Then to there is times I use coupons. If anybody can help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

smiley78172

Asked by smiley78172 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• I was doing the same, or going to different store to buy my groceries, but then I started shopping at trader joes for food and I highly recommend it if there is one in your area. Its healthy food, and cheap. We cut about 200 dollars out of our monthly grocery bill. Then things we need a lot of we started buying in bulk at bj's which is like a sam's club.

I found with coupons I was buying things I didn't really need because they were on sale, so it was kind of a waste. So only use them if you see a coupon for something you actually need.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• sorry about the grammatical errors lol
    pinkgemini85

• At times I check out the scratch and dent stuff that are sold at 1/2 the price at times in grocery stores. Target also has discontinued stuff at time in the frozen food area.

Anonymous

• For groceries, make a meal plan before shopping. Include some meatless meals in that plan; there are MANY tasty meals that don't use meat, which is one of the major costs in a grocery budget. Dry beans/lentils are great sources of protein at a fraction of the cost. Cooking from scratch is another $$ saver. Learn to make your own bread if you don't already. It's definitely cheaper, especially if you can find flour & yeast in bulk. Buy fresh veggies/fruits only if they're in season. Frozen veggies/fruits often are cheaper and have pretty much the same nutritional value. Cut out soda, juice & a lot of dairy; there are other sources of calcium besides milk. Store brand calcium supplements are cheaper than drinking milk. You can also make your own yogurt if you don't want to give it up, it's not hard & it's definitely cheaper. Buy ground turkey instead of ground beef to use in meals calling for ground beef.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• For household bills, shop around where you can. Call your phone company to see if there are any bundle pkgs. or discounts/deals they can give you. Call your insurance co. to see if they can help you lower your cost.

Electric use: Use CFC bulbs if you can. For any 2-bulb fixtures, remove one bulb. It'll still work and use 1/2 the energy.

You can make your own household cleaners incl. laundry detergent, liquid hand soap & dishsoap, even dishwasher detergent. White vinegar works great to remove odors from laundry instead of fabric softener and it helps cut the soap residue so the clothes are softer. Baking soda makes a great scrubbing agent for countertops, appliances & sinks.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Here are my best tips for saving money at the grocery store: http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html

Send me a message offlist if you would like some great (healthy and tasty) budget recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I am doing pretty much the same...I don't buy "gourmet food". I cook from scratch, no fast food. I buy alot of everyday stuff at Dollar Store, Walmart or Target. ON SALE. LOL. I just found a really nice sweater at JC Penny that was originally $34.00 and it was on a sale rack for about $6.00. EVERYTHING can be bought on sale. I only make a few trips to the store and try to get everything done all in one day so I don't need to use too much gas. My next plan is to get a TracFone and cancel my regular cell phone -Sprint. Then,I'm thinking about dropping my land line. Oh and going back to Dial-up , not wireless. I would cancel my Dish Network and get basic Cable but I still have time left on my Sattelite contract. And no newspaper. We must be creative and find ways to save, unfortunately. I guess Social Security will not be getting a COLA raise next year. Sigh.....
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Budget with my coach (this one happens to be ab onlibe program).

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 12:05 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I shop at the discount grocery stores like Save-A-Lot, Aldi and Price Rite, for us, a family of 3 with one on the way I spend about $40 on groceries for the week.

You can save on your electric bill if you put all the tv's, cell phone charges, computers, and equipment on power strips and turning the strip off at night. Our monthly electric bill literalry went from $65 a month to $35 but turning those strips off at night and switching light bulbs.

If I'm on the computer I won't watch the tv as well and waste more elec, i go to radio.aol.com and listen to music here on the computer and turn the strip off on the tv, cable box and dvd player. And i'll do the same with the computer, printer, internet box ,when I turn the tv on. I use a slow cooker or microwave a lot as it uses less energy as the oven, but I at least open the oven door after i use it for the extra heat.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You can save on gas by walking to stores that are close by rather than driving....I have this plastic fold away box on wheels with a handle that I'll take (folds away like a briefcase when not using it) it to Target or even for light grocery shopping. In the summer I collect rain water from the gutter in a garbage can to use to water plants. Sometimes my son takes short baths and i'll re-use the water.

I use the cold setting on the washing machine, using the hot water uses the most energy to make it hot...I don't leave lights on all over the house, one light is fine, and i'll sometimes light candles on the coffee table after my son is in bed and have all the lights off. I don't keep changing the temp on my furnace, turning it down makes it have to work even harder when you turn it back up. I will let it go down a few degrees, but I stay within 3 degrees.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2009