Peeing everywhere, Help!

Ok my son is driving me nuts, and I'm not sure it's his fault. I potty trained him back in January of this year in 2 weeks. I started the day after his 3rd birthday and 2 weeks later he was completely accident free and has been pretty much ever since. He's NEVER NOT ONCE in his life peed the bed while sleeping. This past summer he got an intestinal virus and lost all control over his bowel movements for about 2 weeks. He ended up needing an edema and it was just plain unpleasant. After the virus past however he went back to being accident free. Well as of the last week he's peeing everywhere, even in his sleep which has never ever happened before. There's been no dramatic change in his life, he's pretty vocal and hasn't complained of any aches or pains. No fever, just peeing everywhere all the time night and day awake or sleeping. I don't know whether to mention it to the pediatrician since there's no other symptoms or...

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would definitely NOT go the punishment route. It doesn't sound as though your little on is being defiant in any way or doing this to act out. It sounds as though there are a few possible causes and I would definitely consult with your pediatrician- they are typically pretty well-versed on issues like potty training. Peeing in the bed during sleep is not a voluntary behavior; between that and the fact that he is having random accidents, it seems like his ability to sense when he has to pee is not as good as it once was. The more you focus on it, the more anxious he will become - I'd be very matter-of-fact and non-emotional about it ("Oops! Looks like you had an accident - Let's go get you cleaned up!"). Kids this age go through so many stages and changes, their little brains are constantly developing and growing. This will be a very small bump in the road when you look back on it. Now go give that little guy a hug. :-)
    Evansmomintexas

Answer by Evansmomintexas at 11:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• treat it as a new behavior. I have made him clean up the urine mess 3 times now and he doesn't mind helping me at all, says he's sorry and moves on with life. Today he was standing in the living room watching tv, and just started peeing, then all of a sudden realized it and ran to the bathroom. This is so untypical of him, he's never been distracted by anything before so much that it caused him to mess himself. Like I said besides this past week he's had maybe a total of 5 accidents since January, except for during the intestinal virus. So should I make a Dr. appt or try punishment? Any ideas on how to discipline, because him cleaning the mess clearly isn't working.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Take him to the dr. He may have a bladder infection. Or he could be constipated & it's pushing on his bladder.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• could be a bit of regression try to go back to the basic of potty training.
    if you are really worried the you can take him to the drs.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Thanks ladies I made an appt with his pedi. Hopefully its something small and simple!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2009