Is my 10 yo Son old enough to "stay home alone"?

Like for instance, running down the road to the gas station to get a gallon of milk(being gone maybe 10-15 minutes tops?), going to the neighbors house for coffee(30-45 minutes)

He knows not to open the door for anyone and if anyone calls to tell them mom is in the shower or in the bathroom with explosive diarrarehea...water poops.
Just wondering....We're in NW Arkansas btw

Starfire73

Asked by Starfire73 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes, he is fine. Also, most state laws are really guidelines. Age is not always an accurate prediction of if a child is ready to stay home, maturity is a better indicatior. I know 8 yr olds that are more capable of staying home alone vs some 15 yr olds that I know. In Wisconsin, the recommendation is 12, but the police will tell you that it also depends on if they can handle emergency situations.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• bump

Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 5:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I guess it depends on his maturity. I know I was left home alone at that age.
    Anonymous

• He's pretty mature. and as I mentioned he knows he will be in deep doody if he opens the door for anyone(Even when I'm home).
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• No, even if he is mature! Call Nancy Grace and ask her opinion.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon...depends on his maturity level. My 8 yr old, I already know, will not be home alone at 10. He just won't be able to handle it. But I was coming home and being home alone for 2 hrs after school at about 9 yrs old. Both my parents worked. I knew the rules, and I knew if I didn't follow them, my butt was going to hurt every time I sat down for the next yr or so. My son...not so much. Plus, the situations you describe don't sound all that bad. A quick trip to the store won't take long, and if you're at the neighbors, you can keep an eye on your house from there anyway, so he's not really home alone, per se. You can always give it a trial run, let him be home alone once while you do something quick and close by, and see how he does.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Arkansas does not have a law. You should check to see if your local CPS has guidelines. The most common guideline is age 12.

A five year old can walk over a mile alone to school but in some states or areas an 11 year old can't stay home alone while you return a video.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My parents allowed me to stay home alone at 10 (even younger, I believe). I was a mature child. I say it depends on your child's maturity level.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2009