If you were a billionaire, would you leave any to your kids or would you make them earn their way?

It's interesting that Bill Gates has said that he isn't leaving that much money to his kids in his will.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 5:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Idk. ...By the time i died they'd already be finished with college so, given that, i probably would not leave much for them. I'd donate as much as i could to kids who really need it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• yes, i would leave it all to my kids. if they did not have to work, it would not bother me at all to just leave it to them and let them enjoy it. smarter dispersements would help to insure wasting all at one time, but i wouldn't force them to make due when we have it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 5:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I would ration it out for them, they can get certain amounts at different ages in their life, like they get a small portion at 18, then 30 and so on. I would want to help even after I'm gone, but I wouldn't hand them the world on a silver platter.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I would leave it to my children. No need for them to struggle. I would have stipulations in place though. For instance. They must have been through college or go! and get a good job. If they already have a good job without college they must buy a home for themselves if they dont already own one. It must be paid off. I want my kids to be financially set. all of their debt paid off then after that IDC what they do with the money
    Anonymous

• I completely agree with jewjewbee. Why would give all that money to strangers when I have children that I could give it to? If my parents had millions and left me nothing, I would feel very upset and insulted. Besides, sometimes it takes money to make money. She could start her own business or something. I think what Bill Gates is doing is pretty mean . . . leaving his kids next to nothing.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I would leave it to my kids, with stipulations. I expect my kids to go to college, to educate and better themsleves. I expect my kids to do something good for their communtiy. I expect my kids to be responsible, honest, and respectable. I think just giving them a butt load of money without teaching them how to handle it is irresponsible on the parents part. But i would definately give it all to them at some point.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• It depends on my children and their behavior. Would I leave them all my money, no. They need to learn to be independent and make their own way in the world. If they had already done that or were doing something worth while that made no money then i would be willing to fund that. However if my children acted like spoiled brats i would give every dime away.
    Anonymous

• As long as my kids are responsible I would leave it all to them. But if they were spoiled rotten I would have stipulations of completing college with degrees that are of a benefit to them as well as the community and have them prove themselves worthy of said money.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Id leave it to my kids. If we needed a house or something hte minute i had the money , id get that , than the rest would be divided into their accts.
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 6:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I'd try and do a bit of both...... making sure they had a killer education.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2009