I don't know what to do with him?

My little brother has always had behavior problems. I mean, WAY back to toddler size. It is a week until his 5th birthday & i just don't know what to do with him. He rarely ever does what he is told, but is more likely to do the exact opposite. He's constantly breaking things & doing things he knows he shouldn't do. Just when it seems like he is really trying hard & his behavior is turning for the better, i'll find something that he did or he'll do something to prove me wrong. I don't know if my DH will be able to tolerate much of his behavior & i just want us all to be happy. (DH is currently stationed in Germany). I love my little brother so much. But he's making everything so much harder for our family.
He's in behavior therapy. And it's helped as far as him taking commands. But the breaking stuff, the lying, the intentional rule breaking. He's gotten spankings, grounded. Even a positive reinforcement chart. To no avail.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 5:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I strongly suggest taking a "Love and Logic" class. It changes your whole perspective about what to expect from your kids and what they should expect from you. It really helped us figure out how do deal with our very strong willed child.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2009