How do you stop a dog from scratching on the door?

When I was a little girl around 6 we adopted an adult American eskimo dog. Well Im 21 now and she is extremely OLD! About 2 months ago she started scratching on the screen door. So we open the screen and keep the glass door shut. She still scratches. It's getting really annoying and she already ripped a hole in the screen. She has never done this before. She always has water and food. We have a Dachshund too. So she isn't lonely. We go out there. I can't figure out why she is doing this... How do I get her to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Pets

• Have you had her checked by a vet recently? Blood work and the whole shebang? She is probably suffering from some senility. There is actually a pill that can help with that. I used it with my dog and it did the trick. If there is a little ledge on the door you can use Snappy trainers to stop this behavior.  They look like mouse traps but will not hurt the dog.  I have done it to myself and it does not hurt at all.   They are effective. I used it on my golden when she did the same thing and after a couple of times she never did again.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I hate to tell you this, but she soundslike she's nearing the end of her road, so to speak. My brother's dog did the same thing so he'd let her out, one day she didnt come back in. We went looking for and find her curled up under a tree. At first we thought she was asleep, at first. Some dogs like to find a quiet place to pass on. I hope that not the case with your dog though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2009