I don't know what to do with him?

My little brother has always had behavior problems. I mean, WAY back to toddler size. It is a week until his 5th birthday & i just don't know what to do with him. He rarely ever does what he is told, but is more likely to do the exact opposite. He's constantly breaking things & doing things he knows he shouldn't do. Just when it seems like he is really trying hard & his behavior is turning for the better, i'll find something that he did or he'll do something to prove me wrong. I don't know if my DH will be able to tolerate much of his behavior & i just want us all to be happy. (DH is currently stationed in Germany). I love my little brother so much. But he's making everything so much harder for our family.
He's in behavior therapy. And it's helped as far as him taking commands. But the breaking stuff, the lying, the intentional rule breaking. He's gotten spankings, grounded. Even a positive reinforcement chart. To no avail.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 6:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Has he been tested yet? Often when children act like this there is something wrong with their brains, ADD,ADHD,Autism, etc. Spanking does not help children like this, trust me, I know. Often it takes ignoring the behavior for it to stop
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:41 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Wow this 5 year old sounds like he is running the show. For me being around kids like that are no fun, and sorry it does irritate me, and maybe not others. Would it be possible for you to show up, give him your present, say "hello" to a few, and then leave? Maybe stay for only 20 minutes.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Maybe you can talk to the therapist and see if there is anything more he can do. You know, have you tried talking to a grief counselor? Maybe that has something to do with his behavior.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 7:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• If you feel he is so much out of control maybe have him evaluated just to make sure everything is okay. I would think since you have him in behavior therapy this would help. It seems you are doing all you possibly can. Unless there is an underlaying problem as to why he may be acting out. Stay consistant with punishment. Maybe use time-out. Get down to his level and explain why he is being placed in time out. Praise positive behavior by spending quality time with him even it it is a movie or going to the playground. Maybe once he receives the positive reactions he will want to continue to seek positive attention instead of negative.
    Anonymous