CPS drama... advise, PLEASE?

A friend of my daughters from ballet class was taken in custody sometime today. Problem: when they took her it was sudden/abrupt and her Momma was hysterical. (still is, I have limited details) She wasn't able to communicate to anyone that she has a both a treenut and peanut allergy. It's now dinner time and tensions are high. There's no social worker to speak to on a Sunday night, and police aren't taking her seriously whatsoever, siting security/safety things that messages cannot be relayed to the foster parent(s)... someone will be in touch tomorrow for clothes, medical info, etc. Girl is 4 (I think) and has a sibling with, 3rd grader who can probably advise whomever is preparing meals BUT if they aren't educated and for example use a peanut butter knife to cut their ham sandwich... then what? Are they required to notify her if the daughter dies, gets rushed to ER, etc? Does SOMEONE have her Mom's phone # to get med. info?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• OMG this is horrible, how sad, I hope things work out for this family and things get better, the mom or parents need to do anything they can to better themselves and their situation.
    Anonymous

• Find and call the emergency CPS hot line number for your area, and have someone explain the situation to the person who answers the phone.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• If there are such allergies or serious medical problems, the mother needs to let the police know so they can forward the information to the foster parents.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely answer 2, call the hotline.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Call the emergency social services number. Also, CPS will tell the mom if the child dies, they may not tell her if the kids are taken to the ER or doctor. I doubt the police know who the foster parents are, so calling them will not do much. The police are there just for safety and rarely escort CPS to the foster home.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2009