Is this tacky? (Wedding related)

Ok so this is not set in stone by any means, its just an idea.

We are very very limited on our wedding budget. We have about $500 (that could very well go towards other things) And with that $500 we have $150 left to pay on our rings and $69 for the marriage license.

I used to want a big wedding, and now I really don't. So I was thinking, would it be tacky to have the wedding at the courthouse, and then ask people to go to dinner instead of bringing any type of gift? (meaning they would pay for their dinner, and we would provide cake.)

Is that tacky? I mean im not sure what the wedding at the courthouse would cost, but I know that they have rooms that fit quite a few people, and we wouldn't invite more than maybe 30-40 (we have a lot of family).

Thanks for any advice

livingrlovesong

Asked by livingrlovesong at 6:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• "Instead of gifts, we would enjoy your company at the ceremony and at a pay for your own dinner afterward at Mario's."

(You want to remove all doubt, any possibility of confusion, over that they are paying for their own.)

Answer by Bmat at 6:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Not at all! IT's about the love and the celebration of you guys, do what you can! Enjoy!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 6:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I think it's pretty creative. I just don't see how you'd tactfully word the paying for own dinner part, lol.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• maybe say something like 'in leu (sp sorry lol) of gifts please join us for dinner we will be providing cake' ?
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 6:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• How about having them all come to your place or some kind relative's place for cake, ice cream,and punch after the ceremony?

If that doesn't appeal, I am thinking that your idea of no presents and they pay for their meal instead may be a fine idea. How to word it, though... We will be gathering at Mario's after the ceremony for a pay for your own dinner. Please consider this and your presence at our ceremony your gift to us.

Answer by Bmat at 6:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Thanks, and 82, thats a good idea. I was worried about wording.. :)
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 6:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• For a limited budget, family-oriented wedding, I would do a potluck. Make it a big, fun, awesome party and top it off with cake.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 6:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Wimsey, how does that work? The pot luck thing?
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 6:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I like Winsey's idea. a pot luck- suitable for a family and close friend gathering.

Answer by Bmat at 6:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Thanks BMAT. I like that wording.
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 6:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2009