Proper way to address a card...

Trying to figure out the best way to write a address for my sisters family. She has three children all with their fathers lasts names. So there are four different last names total. When writing out a Christmas card or family cards, what is the best or proper way to do it? Last year I wrote out all their names on the card but it was squeezing them all in, there was only three then to write on there. Can you do two lines of names when doing addresses? Or do something like "Sister A and Children" in the name place?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Holidays

• I say Mrs. Fox and family. or Mr. and Mrs. Smith and family. or Ms. Jones, Mr. Smith, and family

Answer by Bmat at 6:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• What Bmat said!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• If it's a situation like that I would say Jane Doe and Family. If it's a family that all have the same last name then I say John, Jane, and Susie Doe. The only time I worry about proper ettiquette is when I addressed my wedding invitations.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Yeah I'd do "Jane Doe and Family" or what Bmat said.... all sound advice!!
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 8:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• This is a sensitive one. "Jane Doe and family" works or "Jane Doe, Alex, Callie, Max and John" works just fine too. I wouldn't point out that each of them have different last names in a letter so pick either of those two ways. Good for you for being so considerate of the families feelings.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the pps. I would put "The Mary Smith family" in the address line if she's single, or the "John and Mary Smith family" if she's married. Or, if she and her dh have different last names, then put "The Smith and Jones family".

Because, even though all the kids have a different last name, they are all still family, and all still your sisters family :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My SIL and nieces are the same...
    I address it as "So and So and family' or since she has all girls I will sometimes put "and girls"
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:22 AM on Nov. 16, 2009