How do i get my 10 month-old to sleep through the night

he will wake up 3-5 times a night and he either wants food or he wants to play now i knoe my son is a big boy he weighs 23bls but i dont get sleep and its realy hard

kalebsmommy2009

Asked by kalebsmommy2009 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he wants food, feed him. If he wants to play, tell him "night night" and lay him back down. Don't turn any lights on and keep things quiet.

Consider his daytime schedule and see if that needs to be adjusted (naps and such) If he's waking too late in the morning, going to bed too early, sleeping too much during naps, etc.
    Anonymous

• Neither of my children slept through the night at ten months. My daughter will be a year old in a few days and just recently began sleeping from 9-4, nursing and then going back to sleep. Have you considered co-sleeping? We all are much more well rested by co-sleeping.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 6:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I would start with a good routine. Perhaps you could give him a nice warm soothing bath before bed. Get him dressed in some nice warm jammies, and then feed him. Give him a little extra right before bed so that hell have plenty in his tummy to get through the night. After the food put him to bed.
    If he does happen to get up in the middle of the night.. keep the lights off and stay as quiet as you can.. so that he knows that night is for sleeping and day is for playing and bouncing around. Keep at it mama, hell get there soon.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 8:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I dont know if you are running in everytime he makes a peep, but if you are don't. He needs to learn to self sooth a little. See if he will go back to sleep if you just leave him for a few minutes. Sometimes my son fusses for a few minutes, but if I leave him he will go right back to sleep. I know when something is serious and obviously go to him then.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 8:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I would totally re-evaluate his daily routine. Is he getting enough sleep during the day? Is he going to bed at a decent hour? Is he getting enough to eat right before bedtime? Babies who are overtired don't sleep as well as well rested babies. I didn't believe this when I first read it, but the earlier you put your baby to bed (especially when he shows signs of being tired), the better and later he will sleep the next day.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I started doing the 3 B's with my DD around a month old. I would give her a Bath, read her a Book & put her to bed. It killed me when she would wake up crying and she wasn't hungry or needed a change, so I co-slept for awhile until she pushed me away at night and wanted her "own space". She's 8 months old now and I still do the 3 B's and she goes to bed at 8 and wakes up at 6. She's been sleeping like that since she was about 4 months old. Oh, and she still takes a nap during the day from about 12-1:30 maybe later if we've been running errands.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• He will sleep when he is ready too, is what I suppose I keep telling myself. My almost 15 month old has only slept ONCE all the way through. I just weaned him, so I can only assume that once he gets the hint (maybe a few more weeks, HOPEFULLY!) that he isn't going to get a snack at night that he will finally sleep all the way through. I wish I had a magic cure all for you, but I just don't think there is one! :) We do the three 3's and he has a decent bedtime and relaxing time, he only takes one nap a day (around 1:30pm) and goes to bed around 8:30pm. I think it's the same thing with my oldest, he will SLEEP IN when he wants too! Some kids are just hardwired that way, and it takes a while. Hang in there mama! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 9:19 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My daughter was 14 months before she slept through the night on a regular basis. Until then we co-slept; it was easy for me to sleep while she snacked...

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2009