how do i get my 5 yr old to sleep in, and not get up at 5 am lol.

jadensmommy937

Asked by jadensmommy937 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• stop any naps/quiet times
    tweak bedtime a little later (too much will backfire!)
    implement after dinner exercise.... a walk, trampoline, WII time, yoga, whatever

make sure there's no hardcore sugar use and of course, no caffiene

GOOD LUCK!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• ps ... is he getting up to pee, maybe? that can easily be fixed by making dinner a little earlier and then no drinks except for water w/ teeth brushing

make sure his room is dark dark dark (except a nightlight or whatever) is there a new street light or somethin'?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• What's the bedtime routine - can you push it a little later? Is your child still taking a nap during the day?

Maybe try black-out shades to keep the room dark?

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 6:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• ive tryed pushing bedtime back, ive tryed exercise, i just dont now if its something to worry about, like maybe a medical problem, or just a faze
    jadensmommy937

Answer by jadensmommy937 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My daughter falls asleep at 830 everynight and is up at 615 without fail. How many hours is he getting?? Maybe he is just ready to get up if his bedtime is early. Eventually they will sleep until 10 or 11 and we can have some revenge! LOL
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:12 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Never figured that one out. My 7yo and 3yo daughters are early birds. As soon as a little sun peeks through the windows they are up. My 3yo gets up just after my husband leaves for work (he leaves at 5am, she's usually up by 5:30am). The 7yo is up by 6am most mornings.
    It doesn't matter when they go to bed. Even when they stay up late they get up super early. Doesn't matter if they nap or not they still get up early.
    Luckily I have taught them all not to wake me. My 3yo just turns on the TV and watches cartoons until someone gets up to get her milk for her cereal. The other kids can fend for themselves (they've been getting their own breakfast since they were 4).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:05 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• There's no way you can control what time he wakes up, but you can put a digital clock in his room, and then put a piece of posterboard over it that says 6:30 or whatever time you deem is appropriate. Tell him that when the numbers on the posterboard match the clock he can come out of his room. Make sure that he has some books, legos, or other quiet toys to play with in his room until "wake up time"

Answer by missanc at 1:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• we had the same problem with the boy of the sibling group we are foster/adopting. And he'd come into our bedroom and tap on my shoulder until i woke up for stupid things like i have to go to the bathroom, which is right next to our room.
    We put it on his reward chart as "doesnt wake anyone up" it seemed to work like a charm, no more wakings unless it was really really important. And if he did wake up and stay awake, he knows he has to stay and play quietly in his room.
    persia777

Answer by persia777 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2009