Anyone know why a baby can be born with too short an umbilical cord?

My daughter was born almost 2 years ago with a short umbilical cord. It was so short that she wasn't able to drop down to where she needed to be. They ended losing her heartbeat for a few seconds so they rushed me in for a c-section. I was later told that it was because it was too short. Anyone else have this happen or something like it? Anyone know any reasons for it? When I try to search for it on the internet it gives me some weird stuff most of which doesn't make sense to me.

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 8:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• This happened to my SIL. She is a labor/delivery nurse and was set on an all natural birth with no interventions. Every time she tried to push the baby's heartbeat would disappear. She was rushed into a csection with her midwife actually with her hand pushing the baby back in. It turns out that her umbilical cord was only about a foot long. Lucky she was in a hospital with fetal monitors. I will never have a homebirth after hearing that.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2009