Is it to early to test for ADHD in a five year old?

My five year old is very smart active little guy but he will not sit still in class and will not answer questions consistently he is just so eradic and not focused he can sit and do a puzzle with no problem when he comes home from school I ask what he has done in school and he is not able to tell me everything only that he has done work.

MommyRN1975

Asked by MommyRN1975 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No 5 is not too young to be diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. Most children with ADD or ADHD are tactile learner and can learn with their hands. They are god at models, computers, puzzles, anythign fun with your hands, but to make them sit and forced to write is not the same. Most of the truly ADD or ADHD children are very smart and don't want to constantly redo a math problem or write the same word over and over. They do lean differently, Allergies can be a art of it. Diet has to be controlled with a limited amount of sugar. Medication may be needed too! To help an ADD or ADHD child focus, all distractions need to be removed. In a classroom, wearing headphones while testing helps and allowing some oral testing should be allowed. It takes a while to find just the right program for any child.
    seasidegrandma

Answer by seasidegrandma at 12:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My youngest was diagnosed at age 5. However, his older brother also has it, and so does their father. Their ped thinks that I may have it mildly. So with him, it was almost like it was a given. I think they will test for it, but before you do that, have you considered changing his diet or giving him fish oil, or checking out some other methods to try to resolve the behavior issues? My kids are both on meds, as a last resort, after trying numerous other things. I always try to recommend that parents try other options before getting their child diagnosed and putting them on meds.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Couldn't it be that he is just a typical 5 yr old boy that has energy.

My sister was held back in kindergarten for this type of behavior...she just wasn't ready yet, didn't want to pay attention. She is now a normal 16 yr old girl that gets straight A's.

Just give him time to adjust before you start throwing meds down his throat.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• We got a confirmed diagnosis when my son was 6. I wouldn't medicate at 5. There is so much more you can do. Does he have learning disabilites or just poor impulse control? If he does indeed have adhd, talk to his teacher about classroom modifications, sensory breaks. Ask the school psychologist about resources that might be available to him. The sooner you can intervene on his behalf, the better off he will be.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:09 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• If he can focus long enough to do a puzzle, then he is not adhd. A true adhd can not sit still or focus to save their life. He may just not be ready for school. Does your school offer a Pre-k ?

My kids could never tell me what they did in school either until 2nd grade.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Actually, motherofhope98, even with true adhd, they *can* focus, just not as often and it has to be something they are intensely interested in. For example, my 8 yr old, who has severe adhd, can focus on a show on Discovery, History or Animal Planet, if it is about animals. He can focus on a game if he really wants to play it. Most of the time they can't sit still or focus, that is true, but they can under certain circumstances.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:10 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• By family I was pressured to get my son tested when he was 5. He was the first boy in the family and they couldn't get that he was just being a BOY. I resisted them and am glad I did.
    My son is now 16 and is healthy, happy and well adjusted.
    He was crazy and hyper and had a lack of concentration..

HE WAS A 5 YEAR OLD BOY= wild, crazy, hyper, moody, loud....

You really need to figure out what is him just being a boy and what could be the signs of something else before you diagnose and allow the drugging of your child...
    Those drugs suck out the spirit of who your child really is so should only be used if truly necessary.
    Good luck.
    Chickie12

Answer by Chickie12 at 8:30 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My ds was tested last year. He is five now. The pediatrician really did not want to medicate but his behavior has gotten more and more hyper. He is going to be starting Vyvance soon.
    I know it's tough. Hang in there,it does get better;) My 9 yr old dd has ADHD too and is doing so well on her medication. She is working on making the honor roll! Believe me,I NEVER thought that we could get her to this point back when she was 5.
    GL;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 8:49 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• momofhope98-Where did you get your information?
    I have two kids (and a dh) who have adhd and they can indeed focus on things,things that they are extreamly interested in. They can actually do something called over-focusing. It almost seems as though they are obsessed. Read up;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 8:54 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I get my information from experience. I've lived with it all my life. ADHD is way over diagnosed. If your child won't focus on a task, they automatically say ADD. If your child has a lot of energy (as a child should) they say ADHD.

My son is an energetic child. He had trouble understanding the smallest of concepts. 2 dr's, 5 therapists, a panel of teachers & school counselors all insisted that he was adhd & the only option was medication. I told them no because he was capable of sitting still when he wanted to. He could sit still through church & he could sit still for a story or movie. There was something else wrong.

After the 3rd set of allergy testing, this time a food panel rast test for IgG, we learned that several key ingredients in his diet were wrecking havoc internally. We had to remove wheat, soy, eggs & cow's milk from his diet. Guess what? He's a normal child that requires very little assistance.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 16, 2009