Babies Doctor..?

What week will I be able to pick my Baby's doctor? Will my obgyn give me a paper? How do I go about getting the doctor I want?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You should definitely have everything set up about the time you hit your 3rd trimester. Think of some questions or concerns you might have, talk to your friends with kids and figure out who you want for your baby's doctor. Then call the office and find out what the procedure is. Your ob dr doesn't give you a paper I don't think. Mine doesn't. They just know I'm pregnant and when I have the baby the hospital calls the on call pediatrician or the offce and they'll set up everything for me before I even go in for his first appointment. It is a teensy bit easier since my daughter already goes there, but I would assume it'd be pretty close to the same thing with your baby to be. Just call around and ask questions, you'll never know the answers until you do. Good luck!
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• You can pick your baby's doctor whenever you want to. I asked my REGULAR doctor who he recommended and he told me the name of his son's pedictrician. I figured she must be good she's a doctor that another doctor's son goes to. So when I had my son they just asked who I chose for a pediatrician and I told them. So far I have been very pleased. I know you can interview doctors beforehand so you might want to do that.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• First see who is on your insurance. You can call them or check on line, then just start calling around and going in to talk to them. My kids go to my family doc and have since birth, they get just as good of care as they would at a peds office.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 9:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• If you know the doctor you want, call the business office and make sure that they are accepting new patients, and make sure that they accept your insurance.

If you have not picked a doctor, call everyone you know for recommendations, then make appointments to interview two or three; it is important to have a doctor who is a great fit for your medical philosophy.

And congratulations on your new family member!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2009