Will my labia tear heal? How long will it take?

I have delivered in 3 different ways. My first was natural and I tore down. That tear healed with no real trouble. My 2nd was a c/s. Not much I can do about that looking better. My 3rd was a VBAC. Then I tore, on the side, yes my labia. It is very high, sitting just below what I know as "my hood" and a bit 'Y' shaped. For the first 3 days all was well, by the 4th I stood up at some point and felt a pulling. I could then see a seperation of skin and the stitch still in place, so no pulled or popped stitch. The skin is no longer touching, but I can see the stitch in the space between the skin. My doctor and MIL have both told me not to worry it will heal. I just don't understand how skin that is not touching will find it's way back together? So can anyone explain how it might heal? How long it will take? I felt good for a day and things were together now for a week things have been seperated and I hurt!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Health

• I had this exact same tear along with the stitches popping apart problem. To be honest with you it took a very, very long time to heal and hurt very badly. My OBGYN also did not want to do anything for it so I don't really know what to tell you there. Perhaps seek a second opinion.
    pixie_stix

Answer by pixie_stix at 2:19 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Thanks for the replies.  I guess I just want to be told how it will hear - thank you Ati 13.  I also want to hear that it will heal, no matter how long it will take - thank you pixie stix.

Now, I guess I want to be told that aside from a scar all will look normal once it does heal. 

I also need to know what to do for the pain.  The doctor was nice enough to give me percocet and lidocaine gel, but they don't really touch the pain.  The hospital sent me home with a spray that does numb the area for a short time, but I can not find the same stuff at a drug store.  Where do I find relief!  I'm getting depressed over all the pain.  I don't care to put on anything but pj's or care to leave my house since baby and the pain wear me out so quickly.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Have you ever cut your finger deep enough for the skin to pull apart a little? it's the same principle. It will heal because as the tissues knit from the base of the tear up it will pull it together.

Labial tears usually take a little longer to heal. Give it 4 weeks (after birth, so four weeks minus however long postpartum you are). If it's not looking better head back to the doctor.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2009