I need help with my Advent Calender!

We usually give my son little presents in the advent calendar every day in Dec but this year I don't have much extra money for this and would like to do "Fun things" instead as an alternative. Like day one we might have "holiday movie and popcorn day" or day two we might have "go look at lights in our neighborhood day" or whatever. I need help with ideas for fun free (or close to it!) ideas for our advent. Holiday stuff that we can all do as a family! Any and all ideas are appreciated! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Holidays

• When my dh was a kid, he made an Advent Calendar, and when our kids were little, we helped them make ones like this, too. Now that they're teens, they still enjoy hanging them. Maybe your ds would like one like this, too -

You take long strip of felt cut in the shape of a bell pull. You fold the top over to make it like a pocket curtain. You can glue this, or sew it shut with a darning needle and brightly colored heavy thread / yarn. Put a wooden dowel through the pocket, and tie some yard to hang it with. You can put tassels, bells, etc on the ends of the dowel to decorate it.

You put small pieces of the thread or yarn going down the length of the bell pull - so each one sticks out and can be tied in a bow. Put 23 of them down the line. Then put 3 across the bottom. Cut the bottom of the felt into a point or some other shape, and decorate with another tassel, bell, whatever.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I think activities would be fun then he would be anticipating what you will do today. Like "your sons name" picks out dinner. Waffle Family breakfast, Sledding, snowman building, art contest, this would be a lot of fun. I think I will try this to so much more fun then more toys too.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 9:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• cont

You can use glitter glue, markers, whatever, to decorate all around on the felt. Then take the little, a couple of bites sized candy canes and tie them to the felt with the string that sticks out (alternating them with the "hook" of the candy cane going every other direction). Then, using the 3 strings that are in a row along the bottom, tie a regular sized candy cane.

Every day in December, the kids can have one little candy cane, then on Christmas Eve, they get the big one. They can also count how many candies are left each day to see how long until Christmas.

Kids have fun making their own calendar, and getting the candy treats, and it's not very expensive to make.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Thank you so much. I forgot to add that I live in Texas No snow here lol. I love the waffle breakfast idea! Keep the ideas coming. I'm going to go make the actual calendar now! I have all the supplies I need thanks!
    Anonymous

• If you want activities to do with him though, you could do things like "Christmas cookie baking day"

Make a snowman snowglobe day. (Use a clean baby food jar or other clear glass jar, get some hard craft balls that will fit in it, glue them together to look like a snowman, decorate it with waterproof markers, etc. glue it to the lid of the jar. Fill the jar with distilled or boiled and cooled water and glitter. put glue around the threads of the lid and screw the lid on tight. Cover the lid with some pretty fabric and secure it with string or a rubber band.

Make "snowman poop" or "reindeer poop" presents for his friends day - fill a ziploc baggie with mini marshmallows and or choc chips. There's a little poem that goes with it. Email me if you want it.

Dec. your Christmas tree day.

Depending on his age, you can also do a "shop for someone in need day" - take him to buy a small present to give to charity.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• He is actually 4 almost 5 so a charity day would be a great idea too! Thank you ladies so much! Very appreciated!
    Anonymous

• You may want to look at the stores...in our area, they make a cardboard calandar with windows to open each day. Behind each window is a small piece of chocolate...they are under 2 bucks here. I love the idea of charity..good one.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2009