7 month old: Is he old enough to cry it out?

My son appears to have intense separation anxiety. I always check him to see if his hungry, wet, etc and he is okay once he is in mommy's arms. He is the sweetest, calm baby when he is with mommy. I love this about my baby but I also need to get my teeth brushed in the morning, make my bed and get dressed. Some have told me that I can let him cry it out now that he is a bit older. Any suggestions?

PatricksMama07

Asked by PatricksMama07 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get a baby wrap-- baby bjorne mai tai sling whatever makes you feel good but please please please dont let your baby cry it out PLEASE!
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• We were never comfortable with CIO; whining and whimpering is fine. A baby backpack or other carrier worked well for us. You need to find what works best for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• CIO advocates say yes. Ask the woman in your mirror and see what SHE says.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• No. CIO is horrible, but at under a year is just wrong.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• My baby was still a baby at that age and treated accordingly.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Wearing my baby is the only way I get things done. Every mama instinct in me screams against letting my baby cry...especially when in my arms is all he/she wants. (No, I do not believe you can spoil an infant.)
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• my son is usually fine in his swing watching tv & playing with toys if i need to get things done. if im in the shower, and he starts crying & i need to finish in the shower, and he crys for 5 minutes, i really dont think its a big deal. but 10 15 minutes is probably the longest id let him cry for. i dont really find it necasarry to wear my baby 24/7.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I think you need to be in tune with your baby. There are times to let the baby cry, and times that you need to pick him up. You have to follow your gut.
    Anonymous

• We're also in separation anxiety. Crying will make it WORSE. Separation anxiety is all about them learning that they can rely on you to be there. I brush my teeth and get dressed/shower during my LO's first nap, or I get up before him.... and we also just got an ergo and I use that to do other chores.

It'll pass with some time.

I don't consider baby crying for a few minutes while mom does something "CIO" though... CIO is sleep training. Crying is just crying. You be the judge of what is acceptable.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:03 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I don't know...if a mom puts her baby on the floor and cleans the entire house while her kid cries I would consider that CIO.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:36 AM on Nov. 16, 2009