I have a 9 almost 10 yr old son. I am a single mom and my son's grades are terrible. He has been on ADHD meds and did terrible and is currently on no meds and continues to do poorly. He had straight D's on his report card . I have taken everything away. I have no idea what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I am at my wit's end!!

rnmom09

Asked by rnmom09 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Talk with his teachers, guidance counselor and ADD medical specialist!!!

Anonymous

• Ask them to test him and maybe he can get on an IEP. My son is ten and takes ADD meds along with something to mellow him out since after the meds wear off he gets all crabby.
    Ask the psychologist for a different type of ADD med. It took my son 3 different meds before we finally found one that worked.
    Feel free to pm me. I FEEL YOUR FRUSTRATION!!!!!!!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Check his homework before he turns it in,homework is a big part of a grade.go to a teachers store & get a work book 4 his grade then sit down with him EVERYDAY & do some math, reading, spelling,history etc.. maybe you can get help from a chruch or teacher willing to tutor him. Allow him to wacth eduacational tv. don't be afarid to ask freinds/ family for help as well maybe as a gift they can pitch in on a tutor. offer him rewards for getting his grades up.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Try taking him off the meds and start doing some Chiro Care. Sounds crazy but labeling your child is no way to help him out. He is just as frustrated as you are. Always keep that in mind.
    Anonymous

• my son is ADHD and was medicaated for awhile. We enrolled him in a behavior modification program and they taught him how to focus his attention and other ways to cope with his attention problems. It worked for us.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• yeap I suggest talking with his teachers too,my son is 11,in the 6th grade and has ADHD,he has been on medication in the past but we decided to take him off,he does have IEP at school and someone there to always help him...we found out in 3rd grade that he had a learning disability,just a minor one,he has really bad handwriting,he is really smart but somewhere between his brain and his hands he seems to lose the info and his thoughts get jumbled,but we all work with him,and he works through it and has actually gotten better,so for us working with his teachers and all us being on the same page seemed to help the most,but I can understand your frustrations,I have so been there before

JenaLeigh3

Answer by JenaLeigh3 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• There are a couple of herbal remedies for ADHD - Gotu Kola and Blue Vervain. Read up on them, there are fewer side effects if any and they cost a lot less.
    dherrington

Answer by dherrington at 11:16 PM on Nov. 29, 2009