Yet Another Gay Marriage Question

Ok while writing my paper for my government class, and expounding on the virtues of the first amendment, I came to a conclusion.

Outlawing gay marriage is unconstitutional. It flies in the face of the establishment clause of the first amendment, which states that the US government cannot impose religion on Americans. By making a law which is based ONLY on one particular religion, they are imposing that religion's beliefs on the entire country.

By outlawing gay marriage, the government is establishing the beliefs of the Christians as law, and therefore establishing a national religion.

What do you think?

AnnieMcD

Asked by AnnieMcD at 10:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The overwhelming bigotry displayed by those who have no problem denying their fellow Americans equal rights and protection under the Constitution in this post hark to the arguments that if God had created the Negro equal, he would have made them white.

I do not give a shit what your god says. MY Constitution guarantees equal rights for all, regardless of what anyone's god says. Your god does not belong anywhere in my govt on any level. Civil unions are the equivilant of seperate but equal arguments we saw 60 years ago. That includes attempting to legislate morality. Religion does not have lock on the idea of marriage, although they would like to think they do.

And Grace, would you please stop standing close to your DH? You are advertising your sexuality for all to see. As well, keep those kids hidden away. I don't want to see the evidence of your sexuality.

As for gays being crap parents.....bwah-ahahahahaha!
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 11:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• The government should not be involved in marriage. There could be a partnership and if you want that can be legal and than if you want it can be a marriage in your church and it would be up to you and your preacher.

Also there are few religions that do not like gay marriage, not just Catholics.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I like it, Annie.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Annie~
    I have been saying this all along! Thank you! Good luck with your paper.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 10:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• McD, i've said it before and I'll say it again, I love you! hey too bad we're both married to men already...we could totally rock as a lesbian couple ROFL
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 10:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Makes sense to me! Good post!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• The word "marriage" already has a definition.
    The concerned parties need to choose a DIFFERENT word for their living arrangements.
    The word "marriage" is already in use, and everybody knows what it means.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Denying people that are in a same-sex relationship the same rights and privileges as the rest of us is absolutely no different than when we were denying general rights to women or ethnic minorities. Having the audacity to be born is not a valid reason for discrimination. I have never heard a single argument against Gay Marriages that is in any way rational.

I dare someone to provide a legitimate reason why these people shouldn't be allowed to be happy - living their lives the way they were born.

HogwartsHowler

Answer by HogwartsHowler at 10:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• mustbeGRACE...what's it like living in the dark ages where nothing changes and humans can't learn anything new? Is the world still flat where you live too?
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 10:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Originally, it was a union based on ownership of property and reproduction--having children to continue a family name. Nothing very religious or romantic about it. It really had nothing to do with the more modern marriage which Christians have decided is the "only" definition of marriage. Way back thousands of years ago, marriage was totally different. It is always best to read first., before insisting that Christians have defined marriage for the whole world. Very conceited . Will it actually make any difference if gays marry? No, not in the least. Maybe it will make you angry because some don't agree with you and you didn't get the last word in this discussion.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2009