Yet Another Gay Marriage Question

Ok while writing my paper for my government class, and expounding on the virtues of the first amendment, I came to a conclusion.

Outlawing gay marriage is unconstitutional. It flies in the face of the establishment clause of the first amendment, which states that the US government cannot impose religion on Americans. By making a law which is based ONLY on one particular religion, they are imposing that religion's beliefs on the entire country.

By outlawing gay marriage, the government is establishing the beliefs of the Christians as law, and therefore establishing a national religion.

What do you think?

AnnieMcD

Asked by AnnieMcD at 10:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Denying people that are in a same-sex relationship the same rights and privileges as the rest of us is absolutely no different than when we were denying general rights to women or ethnic minorities. Having the audacity to be born is not a valid reason for discrimination. I have never heard a single argument against Gay Marriages that is in any way rational.

I dare someone to provide a legitimate reason why these people shouldn't be allowed to be happy - living their lives the way they were born.

HogwartsHowler

Answer by HogwartsHowler at 10:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I totally agree!

I've been saying that for years!

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• It's also a violation of the 14th amendment:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Yep. I totally agree!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• You're totally right. I don't care what your moral values are, you CANNOT legislate morality! It's WRONG.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• McD, i've said it before and I'll say it again, I love you! hey too bad we're both married to men already...we could totally rock as a lesbian couple ROFL
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 10:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Your argument is flawed. There are plenty of people who are against gay marriage who are athiests, or who belong to a religion other than Christianity. Being against gay marriage is not just a "Christian" thing.
    Anonymous

• And the cowardly, anonymous bashers make an appearance. The things that all the opposition share are ignorance and fear. Get over it. If gay people get married it will not effect your sexuality or your marriage in the least. All humans deserve the right o be loved and get married if they so choose, no matter who their hearts tell them to be with.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 10:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• It is in the US. Especially when the grounds for the dispute is the debated topic that defines marriage as a relationship between man and woman. That is a christian view. Most all other cultures embrace homosexuality. But never mind that b/c the preaching conservatives cry that this country was founded on Christianity.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• i completley agree with you.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2009