Do you think TV is ok for infants?

I know the drs dont recommend it, but I know I watched tv as an infant, and i SEEM to have turned ot ok... My 5 month old loves the tv. How many of you let your little one watch?

LQuik37

Asked by LQuik37 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• (cont'd) ... has added more urgency to what is right and wrong educationally for the young child. "

Waldorfmom note: The closing of those potential windows results from a brain event around the age of 8. The experiences a child has, the activities a child is helped to engage in (we're talking about PHYSICAL, real activity, not staring at a screen and seeing animals, then music, then puppets ! ); these things promote the laying of neural pathways in the brain. A 6yr old has 5-7 times more brain connections than an adult !

At 10-11, an enzyme is released which dissolves all potential brain pathways which have NOT been activated.

If the environment doesn't provide the necessary protection from over-stimulation, and the needed nurturing, then certain potentials and abilities cannot be realized.

Yeah ... TV ? Quintessential overstimulation, and NOT nurturing with the real-world interaction your baby needs.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i tried to get my LO to watch tv and she wouldnt until she turn like a yr and a half! I say if they watch let them.. great learning experiences!
    Anonymous

• not happening
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• i ALWAYS have nick jr. on for my almost 6 month old. he loves the songs and the colors and the faces and the talking etc. its great. we sing and dance to the buttons are the bellyest songs and the when everyones together everyone is happy were thankful that we have so much to share. he loves it. i dont see anything wrong with it. i think its stimulating.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I let my 5 month old watch it too. It's not gonna hurt your baby!
    Anonymous

• TV has been proven to slow down the brain development in children 2 years and younger. ...let me see if i can find a link.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• we didn't have a tv in our house till recently my son is now 2 and watches maybe one short show in the daytime....something like elmo or maybe colors(loves that one and goes through the colors as we go to put it in).

but he usually won't watch the whole thing instead he chooses to play.

I don't think that having the kid in front of the tv non-stop is good for them..

Like outstandinglove said it can interfer with their developement....Our doc said that it interfers with their depth perception.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I am always amazed by the "studies and their findings". I had the TV on for my kids, mainly Sesame Street, Mister Rogers and other PBS shows. They are all big time readers now, were all on the high honor roll in HS, graduated top 5% in their classes and are now (all 3) on the deans list in college (pre-med, mechanical engineering and biology majors). TV did nothing wrong in our household but we also went to the library, played outside alot and did alot of art and crafts and "learning" projects and I also read to them from little on.
    Anonymous

• no.

its one of the increasing seizure triggers in young children these days - the tvs are so BIG and have such clear resolution - its all so fast paced and bright that tiny brains that are still developing have a hard time focusing and end up going haywire.

my youngest has seizures and this was the first thing they asked in the ER when we got there the first time ( and every other visit). her neurologist is leading a study linking it together.

its not a matter of watching making you not smart...but causing physical damage to a tiny brain.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2009