Times change so much and I am confused

I have identical twin boys and they were born July 21st and I am thinking about starting them on jar food like applesauce mixed with there rice cereal. Times change so much like when my older son was younger they said you could start a 4 months now they are saying 6 months and I am so confused. I do put rice cereal in their bottles for acid reflux and have been doing that since they were born basically but that is getting better now and they are off Zantac and I am wondering if I could start them on solid food and if I could change their formula back to just basic Similac because the Alimentum is expensive. I will do whatever I need to for them any advice will be helpful

Christiansmom06

Asked by Christiansmom06 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ask your doctor. i started feeding my son rice cereal & fruit at 4 months per the doctor.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• doctors are behind on recommendations but since you've already been giving those poor babies cereal in their disgusting bottles go ahead and start them on something else. cereal is a solid you know.

Anonymous

• I always start mine around 4 months.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Somehow I knew this would turn into a bottle vs breastfeeding ? I need advice not critism I can not breastfeed due to medical reasons and I put cereal in their bottles so they dont have to be on medications such as Zantac or I could let them throw up and lose weight like they were when they were born
    Christiansmom06

Answer by Christiansmom06 at 10:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Just ignore anon. Take the advice that is productive and ignore the rest. My daughter is 6 months now, and I have been feeding her solids for the last 2 months. She eats cereal with fruit mixed in in the morning and another fruit or veggie in the evening. You can try to switch formulas, just go half and half for a while to get them used to the new one. I would check with your Dr first. :) Hope this helps!
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 10:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• they say 6 months for jar food but i started both my kids at 4 months mixing it in with there cereal an slipped ehre an there an gave them the jar food seemed to fill them up an sleep little better at night and was good because they gained there normal amount of weight an they were ok so do what you think isbest for your boys not what doctors tell you good luck mom of a 5 year old 2 year old an a new born on the way in feb so i now what im talkn about!!!!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• do what you feel is right.

things had totally changed from when I had my oldest to when I had my youngest (6almst7 years difference) - I just did what I thought was right for her, and what had worked for my oldest two.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Please be careful with the cereal in the bottle. I understand your reasoning but it is a big factor in SIDS. My friend mentioned the risk to me and I researched it and the cereal in the bottle and SIDS are highly correlated. As per your question, I started my daughter on cereal with a spoon at 4 months and baby food at 5. Doctor's usually recommend starting veges first, and then fruit after all veges are introduced. Hope that helps!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 11:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• If cereal's in their bottles, the Rubicon's been crossed for ages. Go right ahead. They're old enough.

The caveats are for babies who have NOT had cereal or any other solids or formula.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• do whats right for you and your babies, not what some "read every book so i know it all but don't have the guts to show myself bitch" has to say to you. i have been told vegetables like carrots are better to start than fruit, but i started with pears, i think its the most mild fruit for babies..but thats just my opinion. and i was giving my babies cereal...oatmeal instead of rice, less gas...one at 6 days, one at 2 weeks, and the twins was about two months. hope things work for oyu and your twins. and miss anon...why do you breast feed and find bottle feeding disgusting?? is it because we have a little too much of a child fetish??? just shows how ridiculous people can be, so why not stoop to your level..not that you'd really get that though i'm sure
    magwil4

Answer by magwil4 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2009