My son is already 9 y/o but he's still afraid of the dark. Can anyone please help me about this?

kataratoph

Asked by kataratoph at 11:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sometimes with kids this age, the best way to solve a problem is to get them involved in the process. If you haven't already, have a conversation with him about what exactly it is that scares him - does he think about things once in bed? Did he see something on tv or in a movie? Is he afraid of monsters? After you establish what scares him, rather than trying to convince him that these things aren't real (which you've likely done countless times already!), ask him what would make him feel SAFE in his room. If it's a reasonable request - leaving the hall light on, for example, then by all means do it. If it's not reasonable, tell him so and ask for other suggestions. I think every adult out there has had the experience of feeling "spooked" in your own home on occasion - this is what he's feeling every night AND that his brain does not yet have all of the reasonong powers that ours does. Hope this helps & good luck~ :-)
    Evansmomintexas

Answer by Evansmomintexas at 11:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Let him sleep with a nightlight. I'm 36 and afraid of the dark I just keep a low watt night light on.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Is it possible that he is watching to many violent things on TV?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I get my kids Monster B Gone spray from The Scented Tub. Here's the site it's under the children products. He can spray it around the room every night before bed and it keeps the monsters away - even in the dark. Then keep some next to the bed, just in case.

We LOVE it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• @SabrinaMBowen
    He doesn't watch violent movies. He's afraid of ghost. I've told him a lot of times that's no such thing as ghost but he still wouldn't listen to me.
    @ goaliemom93
    He always sleeps with a nightlight.
    kataratoph

Answer by kataratoph at 11:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• LOL Is his room messy? Mine was when I was young and I was afraid there were spiders under the bed. I was afraid the spiders would come out when it was dark, so I'd keep the door cracked so they couldn't come out while I was still awake.
    Anonymous