Have you breastfed while taking antibiotic?

The doctor prescribed me Azithromycin (Zpak) I have to be on it for 5 days.. I am planning to take it at night while baby is asleep then breast feed her in the morning. Should I? Is my baby going to be ok?? Please help.. I have the flu and need to take meds tonight but I dont want to pump and dump! Thank you!

GodBless_MyKids

Asked by GodBless_MyKids at 11:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Z-pack is given to babies. Carry on. No need to EVER pump and dump.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• yes it is fine to take. dont worry.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Yes, you can take it and breastfeed. I have breastfed for 3 years between my two kids and have had to be on antibiotics in that time. I would, however, eat as much yogurt w/ probiotics as possible b/c you are at a risk of thrush w/ high dose antibiotics. I am not saying you WILL get it, but it can happen. It has never happened to me, though. Also, you will want to nurse your baby as much as possible to help get the antibodies b/c she has already been exposed to your flu.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 11:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• It's safe to take but why would your doctor give you an antibiotic or a virus?
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Are you on an antibiotic because of complications of the flu?

When you go to the doctor you should always let them know that you are breastfeeding and if they prescribe you any meds they need to be baby friendly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• *it's supposed to be for not or.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• yes, *most anti-biotics are compatible with breastfeeding. check with la leche league!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I took antibiotics when I was breastfeeding.  Some antibiotics are safe when breastfeeding.   As long as your doctor knew you are breastfeeding when he wrote the prescription, then I wouldn't worry about it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:49 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Azithromycin is safe to take while bf'ing. I've taken it many times- I'm allergic to penicillin so this is the one I usually get. Make sure you tell the prescribing doc that you're bf'ing and need somethign safe. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• This is safe for a nursing mother. My concern would be why did the doctor give you an antibiotic for the flu?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2009