Would you think very small of her?

What kind of impression would you get if a girl you haven't met gave your son a hickey? (15 to 16 ) years of age.

I don't care for them but since I am a married woman I can get them only I don't flaunt them for everyone to see.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i would think she was low class and trying to mark her spot like a dog......... gross! and i would be a little mad at my son for hooking up with a trashy chick.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:50 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I think hickey are tacky no matter what your age or marital status... they just look gross.

Yes... i would think both are pretty slutty... the giver and the receiver. And my son would be in deep doo doo for having one.
    Anonymous

• Before you read this, please keep in mind, I also have 2 teens (my ds is almost 17 and my dd is 15 1/2). So I do feel your pain here.

But honestly, while I think it's tacky, I wouldn't think any worse of her in this situation than I would my own son. Because, unless she held him down and did this to him (along the lines of sexual assault), then HE is just as "guilty" here as she is. And there's a very good chance her parents are thinking the same - what kind of boy (that they haven't met) leaves a hickey on a teenage girl her age?

I'm NOT excusing it. I just think that you need to talk to him about appropriateness, and taking things too fast, and also insisting in meeting her. But, when you do meet her, be nice to her and keep an open mind about her, because there's something about her that your ds likes, and you love him, so you need to look for something good in her for his sake.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• cont

Plus, that way, if you aren't coming across negative towards her, then he, and maybe she as well, will be more receptive to what you have to say about boundaries and respect - for each other and for themselves...

gl! I know this is a tough situation!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I think kids shouldn't be kissing in the first place.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• LOL @ looovemybabies, only if it was that simple!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• We've all been that age, and while hickies aren't any less disgusting than a dog peeing on something to claim it as his territory, things happen. As we all know, kids don't always take the advice that is given to them. While they know what's right, they still go against that. It's all a learning experience and unfortunately they don't always learn the easy way. I would ask to meet this girl and sit down with them and have a talk. You should tell both of them, especially your son, what your expectations and boundaries are. Tell them if they do not respect your wishes, they won't be authorized to see each other anymore. I agree with the pp that if you are going to think less of her, you should think less of your son as well.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:33 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Disgusting and trashy, on BOTH their parts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't think anything less of her than I do of my own son. It takes two to tango!

I agree it's tacky, but my son and his friends have all come home with them at one time or another - it seems like its a right of passage, and after one time which gave their friends a big laugh, I never saw one again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I agree totally agree with sailorwifemom. on this one.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:48 AM on Nov. 16, 2009