Sweet potatos! With skin or with out skin boiling?

So i am watching Food network challenge and the theme is Thanksgiving Family feast. One of the judges said the best way to boil sweet potato's is to keep the jacket on (skin, i am guessing) i would peel it off because i do not want to eat the skin. is this how you do it if not how?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I boil them without skin then mush them up like mashed potatoes once they are soft.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Peel them first. Sweet potato skin is very woody---you don't wanna eat it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I pierce the skin and boil whole. The skin holds in the flavor and nutrients. Once boiled and cooled down enough, the skin can be peeled off easily. I just start at one end with a sharp knife, and the skin pulls off all the way down without needing to cut into it.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I peel mine and boil them.. The skins gross
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:01 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I don't think they meant to EAT the skin, just to leave it on. That is proabably so the pototes don't get too mushy from the water. When you take them out you peel them..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• *potatoes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Boil the sweet potato with PEEL ON! Then when they are done, the peels come right off. Peeling a sweet potato raw is very difficult. When it is boiled, it thickens a it & peels right off.

Cut the potato in quarters, then when they are done grab a corner of the sweet potato skin & pull the whole thing right off. Very simple & it's the best, easiest way to peel one.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I've done it both ways. Usually I peel them first because...I don't know I just do.
    I had heard it's better to cook them with the skins on so we tried it and they cooked just fine. The skin comes right off except they were really hot and my husband burnt his fingers, lol.
    We still tend to peel them before hand, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:02 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I never boil sweet potaatoes, it boils out some of the nutrients, lost in the water. I wash and dry them, and poke holes in them with a fork. Bake them in the oven, 400 degrees, until done. Check them by squeezing, they should feel soft and mushy inside. Let them sit on the counter and cool for about 10 minutes. The skin will slip off with no probllem. I have everything ready and waiting for them. I put the potatoes in a large platter and mash while they are hot. When they are all mashed I add melted butter, a little salt, sprinkle on some brown sugar and cinnamon and stir it. My grandmother adds a praline topping to hers, made from butter brown sugar, a little flour and chopped pecans.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:13 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Oh forgot to add that I either bake or microwave a little to heat through with the added ingedients. My grandmother bakes hers at the end because of the praline topping.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2009