Another poop question!

I was wondering why my 2 1/2 week old would have mucus in his poop. He's only breastfeed so I'm just not sure why there would be mucus unless he's still getting ride of all the amniotic fluid he swallowed. Just not sure.

Jessie1689

Asked by Jessie1689 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby was getting rid of all that stuff for about a month, his poop was different colors and textures
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Sometimes their poop can look mucousy and it's normal. As long as it's soft, not causing a rash and not rancid smelling... don't give it too much attention or thought.

Mucous can sometimes indicate a virus (and may be the only symptom), or when they are older, teething. Again, in any case... it's not something to worry about.

Just wait until he starts solids! We're having some real interesting poop now. I walked into his room after his nap earlier and P-U, he stunk! Nearly makes me reconsider this whole "starting solids" business! lol.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Sometimes the poop is just mucousy, it's not a cause for alarm.
    Sometimes it can mean he's getting too much foremilk and not enough hind milk (usually the poop is more greenish) to fix this problem do one sided feedings rather than bother breasts.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• His poo is usually the yellowish seedy stuff, just mucusy. I do only feed him on one side at a time since he'll only eat for about 10 mins at a time. Thank you ladies!!
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 7:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2009