So why wont my doctor discuss induction until I am 42 weeks?

I am due tomorrow and I have a Dr's appointment on friday the 20. I asked him at my previous app. if I dont go by my due date can he induce me. he said no. not until I am 42 weeks! PLEASE DO NOT tell me that the baby needs time to grow because thats BS I am tired of being pregnant and my doctor insists on draging it as far along as it will go. What is his reasoning behind this? Is he allowed to do that if I request to be induced? Im still dilated to a 1! (and dont tell me to be patient because thats all I have been through this whole thing and if you have ever gone to or past your due date, you feel my pain.)

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 12:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My doctor wouldn't induce me until my due date with my first child. She induced me on my due date and all was well.
    My second baby she induced me at 38 weeks. I couldn't do it anymore. I had excruciating back pain and I just told her i needed to be done. She induced me and again all went well. My baby was 9.3lbs so it was a good thing she induced me, because she said if the baby was any bigger I probably wouldn't have been able to get her out and we would've had to do a csection. My baby girl got all 9's on the apgar scale. I can't remember what my sons scores were.
    I would really talk to my dr. and ask him/her why she feels 42 weeks is necessary. All Doctors have different reasons and if his/her reason doesn't sit well with you kindly ask them if you can be done. I'm sure the Dr. has your best interest in mind, but ugh that is a loooonnnggg time.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• His reasoning is that the benefits of induction at this point DO NOT outweigh the risks. Yes, he is allowed to deny you an unnecessary procedure.

I know you're super uncomfortable, and I know you want this to be over, but there really are risks to induction. You have a good doctor, don't take it for granted.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Getting induced is usually the last resort. If your body isn't ready for labor and they induce you then you can be in labor for days and it can take a lot longer for you to push the baby out. I was 1 week past my due date and I was scheduled for a induction but luckily my water broke the night before. I understand how miserable you probably are and how anxious you are but your due date is tomorrow and most first time moms go past there due date. I'm sure you'll have the baby way before you are 42 weeks. Good luck
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 12:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Well, first off, induction increases the chances of a c-section by about 50%. Secondly, the baby's BRAIN needs time to grow. here's a link.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122999215427128537.html?mod=article-outset-box

inductions are risky.

of course, if you really feel like it's worth risking a c-section or any of the many other problems that can happen with induction then switch to a doctor who will do what you want.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:24 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• well, it's been on the news and internet. They're stopping doing inductions until about 42 weeks, b/c supposedly they're being done too early and baby needs more time to develop and blah blah.
    I can't find a link about it, sorry. I'm so sorry, try inducing it yourself. Sex, eggplant parmesean(that's what I ate to induce mine years ago!), walking....
    good luck!
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• This doctor is actually putting your health & safety as a priority. :-)

Obviously you can "discuss" it, have the conversation. But if you & baby are fine & healthy, then no need to do it.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:33 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• well last night I walked abot 3 miles then walked up and down stairs, ate spicy food then a whole fresh pineapple and drank castrol oil. not a damn thing happened but the wicked sh*ts! My doc said no sex.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:33 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• oh and I bounced on an excercise ball for about an hour! still nothing.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:34 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Why no sex, are you having any complications?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:34 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• When did he say no sex? I think the no sex rule due to preterm labor goes out the window when you become full term...37 weeks.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2009