fever not going down... Help?

Earlier today my son had a fever of 102. Gave tylenol and it went down to normal. When it wore off his fever spiked again. I gave him a lukewarm bath and then more tylenol at 9pm because his fever was 102 again. Its 11pm now, hes asleep, but still has a fever of 101. Do I just let him sleep and keep an eye on him and call the doc in the morning? He has no other symptoms except he had a runny nose 2 days ago, so possibly a ear infection. Oh and hes 11 months.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 12:26 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure he doesn't have too much clothing. Light clothing is best. Since it's not too high, you can call the doctor in the morning for suggestions. Keep an eye on him through the night. I hope it goes down completely tonight.

PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 12:30 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You can alternate Tylenol and Motrin, because they aren't the same drug so it won't overdose him. BUT - don't give it at the same time. What you do is give the dosage of Tylenol, then, half way before it's time to give another dose, you can give a dose of Motrin. I've had many Drs over the yrs tell me it was ok to do this to control a fever.

But I would keep an eye on him and watch his temp through the night and call his Dr in the morning. Of course, if it gets really high or things get worse, then I would take him into an Urgent Care or call the Dr.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:38 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Alternate the Tylenol and motrin. (Say give motrin then 4 hours later give tylenol and then motrin 4 hours and so on) watch the fever if it goes over 102 then I would take him to urgent care and def call the doctor!

(sorry for the bad spelling!!!)
    DarthPink

Answer by DarthPink at 12:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Thanks ladies. I dont have any motrin here. I will deffinetally be investing in some though.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:47 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Give him motrin... it's much better for fever and lasts longer.
    But if he is sleeping... let him be... a fever isn't going to hurt him, even if it goes to 105 he'll be just fine.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:48 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Fevers are there for a reason. I rarely give my daughter tylenol or motrin. We do luke warm baths, loose clothing, and cool drinks. Don't give him meds unless his fever doesn't naturally come down. Call your doctor in the morning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I tried all of those before the tylenol. And dont have motrin.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2009