How do I get my 1 year old to stop hitting?

Okay... I'll be honest. My sons daddy and I (and pretty much all of his family) have been playfully "play-boxing" with our son for awhile. We used to mess around because it was cute to have him wave his hands back at us. NOW when we take something from him or tell him "no", or if he's just tired and cranky he punches, and head butts. We started telling him that it's bad, tapping his hands and, or holding his hands when he does it.
It's there anything else we can do to fix our mistake?

CadensMama117

Asked by CadensMama117 at 1:38 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ok well im not going to jump on you for "play boxing" because me and hubby horse around like that too......
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Well I guess now that he's becoming aggressive from it, stop play boxing with him until he's old enough to understand the difference. Everytime my son went to hit or aynthing I would take his hand and tell him NO NO - We do NOT HIT.. and put him in time out - everytime.. it took a good month of daily doing this but he hasn't hit since, he tried pinching me the other day and went right in time out also - I guess picking a method and being firm and consistant. we have the same issue with throwing things, we would do it cause it was the only thing that even made him laugh then when he starting throwing his toys and balls and forks we looked at each other and thought, well, now what lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 16, 2009