My son is 22 months old and loves to scream, yell and cry when he doesn't get his way, how do i make him stop?

I can go to the store and he doesn't want to sit inside the cart, wants to run around and i usually bring snacks, juice and still i have to walk outside, put him back in the car while he wails and screams. When we get back, i can only be there no longer than an hour. How can i make him understand that he should not yell??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At home ignore him don't give into his tantrums, trust me it's really hard to ignore the screaming and whining and all that but really after he realizes he will not get his way he will mellow out, but as everything it all takes time just don't ever give up momma, trust me I went through all that, I gave in on his tantrums and now he is four years old and I still have problems at the store sometimes.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:59 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I agree with looovemybabies. Ignore the tantrums. I keep talking to him like nothing is happening and try to redirect his attention. I do the same thing in stores. Yes, I've pushed him in the cart while he was screaming. He got over it and we both survived. You've already got the idea of snack/drink so you're heading in the right direction. Personally, I don't take him out of the store when he screams but I also try to avoid really long shopping trips or trips that involve lots of in/out of the car (which he hates).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I am having the same problem. he gets put in his room with his fits and tantrums at home and its been literally 2 months of completely ignoring his same fit at the store and NO success -I am at a loss, I have to make my trips when he is not with which you know, is only after he's in bed and before my husband leaves for work if he's not throwing a beditme fit during teething right now - he JUST turned 2 last week... good luck!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Yes, when my daughter starts throwing a fit, I just ignore her and go about my business. She'll want my soda or yesterday, she actually was standing beside the tv stand reaching her arm up and whining. I think she wanted me to lift her up so she could push buttons on the tv . .. come on now, kid. She doesn't get what she wants and she throws herself on the floor, I just say "No, I'm sorry, but you can't have that."
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I don't think that there is any easy way. but the way that i found out works for me is the NAUGHTY CORNER and he gets to stay there until he stops crying...he stops pretty quickly! when it comes to him wanting something at the store i tell him that if he stops crying then we will go play outside when we get home...he loves going outside and it usually works. it just depends on what your little one likes doing as to what you promise them to do.
    AEN22

Answer by AEN22 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• All kids throw tantrums at one time or another. I found it best to just say no and step over them if they are on the floor and ignore the behavior. It won't take them long to figure out that they won't get their way and they will stop throwing tantrums.
    MinnieMagic

Answer by MinnieMagic at 10:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2009