Question about cash assistance in California. Rules and regulations?

Okay so DH and I bought a used car from a dealership roughly about a year ago. We make 300 dollar payments each month. We just ran into rough times with this recession. Well I was wondering if we apply for Cash aid will they turn us down because of our Car payment being high? A girl I know said they wouldnt help her cause her car was worth over 1500 dollars. She also sat on her ass and had babies popping out the wazoo! Im 9 months pregnant with our first child and DH works but his hours have been drastically cut. So will they turn us down or is she out of her mind? Dh needs this car to get back and forth to work and Doc appts for me so its not like we can give it up anyway.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'm not in Cali but the only way you'll know is to apply. For the most part the state guidelines are the same(they will vary but it should not be by much) because they are all a government program. But if you do apply, you may qualify for more programs to help you. You should be able to look up the income guidelines for your county online. If your income falls within the limits, you may be able to get more help. Good luck.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 6:48 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I'm not positive, and I don't live in CA, but my mother-in-law is a supervisor of case manager in PA. I'm pretty sure she's told me that a year or two ago they quit counting your assets, at least toward food stamps and medical assistance. Plus, if you're still making payments on it, I would think it wouldn't be an asset anyways, since you don't actually own it to be able to sell it. Even if they do count it as an asset, I think they allow one vehicle per working adult int he household, so you should be safe regardless. Also, are you getting food stamps, WIC, help with utilities (like LIHEAP), etc.? Every little bit will help, and if you're turned down for cash, you can at least save on your food and other things, and be able to put his cash income towards rent, car payment, insurance, etc.
    Good luck! Hope things turn out well for you!
    Anonymous