Has anyone else been asked to leave a public place bc of the way their kids were acting?

today I was in church and my daughter, she's 3 was being loud(she wasn't screaming or anything just not using her inside church voice) so I was asked by one of the ushers to nicely take my children into the quiet room(where they put all the rowdies I guess). I was so fricking embarassed I could of died. Everyone in the congregation was staring at me like they couldn't remember having their own children or even grand children who didn't fully behave in church. They are all supposed to be like Jesus Christ and be forgiving and understanding yet the looks I kept getting were so unchristian like. I mean seriously did they expect a 3 and an 8 yr old to perfectly behave in church. I mean I remember when I was younger and forced to go to church that I didn't get squat out of the service and was figgety too.

dizzy77702

Asked by dizzy77702 at 2:26 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, we haven't.
    But, in regards to your question I have always refused to attend a church that didn't allow children to talk. In their voices. Children and all of their wonderful deeds, messes, and noises need to be welcomed with open arms in the church. If a church wants to silence a child, I won't attend. When a church is so helpful and loving like they are supposed to be, they should be most welcoming to the least of us-the children-and all that comes with children.
    Messes, spit up, puke, noise, food stains. Everything.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• when we attend church with my inlaws they have a room for the children, the first part of service includes the children then they leave for sunday school and the younger kids have a playroom, there are speakers for the adults to hear the sermon.

I do think they have a right to ask you to take the kids to a room that is set up for that purpose if it is interferring in the service, they didnt ask you to leave the church only to go into the room set up for children during services. While normally i would be all for saying they are rude, it sounds as if they were polite in asking you to go into another room and if this is how they have their church set up then by attendig there you have agreed to their rules.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I think they were right in asking you to leave, what you should have done, if you cant make your children behave is taken it upon yourself to get up and remove your children from the room. I have left many places with my child, grocery store, restuarants, etc. It is very distracting for people to try and listen to a service when there is all kinds of noise going on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• First of all, get over yourself. That's a LOT of ego, thinking everyone in the church is looking at you. People go to church to work on their relationship with the Lord and deserve a little peace and quiet. Everyone has their own worries and burdens to bear and I doubt that most of them even noticed your children.

That being said, control your child. Learn to "shush"! IMHO, a three-year-old does not belong in a church service, unless it it has been designated as a "family service". Why make the child miserable by having to sit quietly for an hour? Instead, use the nursery and/or "fussy room" right off the bat. Even a three-year old can learn to sing "Jesus Loves Me" and that's a lot more enjoyable than a long service.

It sounds like you didn't want to be there and now you've got your reason not to go back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:27 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• First of all, I know when people are glaring at me. Second of all you have no right to ? My relationship with God. Third of all, if you aren't willing to use your sn and want to hide behind anonymous, your opinion doesn't matter to me. Sounds like you, third poster, are as judgemental as some of the people at my church, you have no place bashing me, as I doubt your children are "perfect".
    dizzy77702

Answer by dizzy77702 at 8:07 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• And yes, a 3 yr old is entitled to attend a church service. 90% of any church population is made up of adults who attended regularly as a child. NO children No adults later on. Pull your head out of the sand and start welcoming the children.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:27 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I personally get distracted from focusing on the message when there are noisy young children in the service. Yes, sometimes babies cry and that's unavoidable but our church offers a nursery for babies through 3 years and then a children's church after that for kids up through 5th grade. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask a parent to utilize the resources the church has to offer (a "quiet room") so that all in attendance can get the most out of the service. It wasn't a matter of being rude to you, it was a matter of being respectful of everyone else.

Answer by missanc at 8:34 AM on Nov. 16, 2009