she wont sleep!

she has a stuffy nose and all she will do is cry. there is no meds for kids under 2. i gave her saline drops and sucked it all out but it only lasts a minute. any suggestions?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 2:59 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you breastfeed, you can express some of the breast milk and use a dropper to put it in the nose. Sounds gross, but it works =]
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• At walmart they have medicine for infants its EQUATE brand for infants pain relief it says ages 2-3 on it but you can use it for infants I have been using it with both of my boys since birth the dose you can give her is 0.8 ml, or you can get Tylenol for infants, either way both are ok for babies, I have showed it to the pedi and he approved but like I said I have been using it with both boys since birth. As for the stuffy nose get some VICK'S for babies and rub it on her chest a little bit under her nose, on her nose and on the bottoms of her feet, but before you put the Vick's on suck out her boogers with suction thing and it works great my babies were sick a couple of months ago and it worked great, they also have this stuff called bag balm you can rub that on your babies chest and feet that stuff even works for baby rashes. The medicine and Vick's worked great for my babies.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:10 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• let her listen some soft music..
    yoyolve

Answer by yoyolve at 3:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Something I didn't know with my first, so just passing it along. Using the "snot sucker" too much can irritate their nose and make it more inflamed and harder to breathe. I would also prop my babies up on the boppy to help with the drainage. If it was really bad, I held them and slept in a recliner. It will be a difficult few nights, I am sure, but your little ones immune system is strengthening by fighting this off. It's so tough, on both of you! Hang in there.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• get a cool mist humidifer going. My 8 month old just got over a bad head cold. It lasted about a week.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:45 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You can give her infant tylenol for any pain, and depending on her age possibly some children's benadryl - call your ped and ask. They recommended a small dose for my son when he was 10 months (18 lbs) and had a stuffy nose. It made him a little drowsier than usual, but cleared up his nose so he was actually able to sleep.

Answer by missanc at 8:50 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• When my girls are sick, I use a warm mist humifier to help things to flow and keep the mouth moistourized while asleep. There are Nasal decongestant drops made by little noses. I clean out the nose and then use that. It helps for a few hours. Also if you can prop up her mattress that wil help her to drain better, thus breath better.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:28 AM on Nov. 16, 2009