When is it time to potty train?

My daughter is only 1 year old now but i was wondering when is the best time to start potty training. I am in my second pregnancy and i just wanted to know when i should expect to begin this new step. She's already taking off dirty diapers and throwing them on the ground.

ArmyAngel18

Asked by ArmyAngel18 at 3:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• can she say potty? does she show interest when you go? they will tell you when they are ready
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:17 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• she knows when her diapers are dirty...so you can probably start now...
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 3:21 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You can try now but in my opinion it's to early but then kids will potty train when they are ready, so if she don't want to train and nothing works then just give her more time, my four year old I started to train him at 3 years old and it took him good 2 months to get it all completely down.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Well the idea that you wait until they are ready is a modern thing. You can start whenever you want - it may just take a little longer for your child to figure it out. Just a hundred years ago in the USA kids were potty trained around a year or so. I started mine at 18 months, 2 years, and 9 months. My daughter, who is now 1 year, has been the easiest. She still has some wet diapers but she will wet or poop everytime I put her on the toilet. Baby #4 is on the way, so I am very happy with less diapers!!! She doesn't talk yet, but someone showed me the sign language for "potty" and "finished." She has started to sign when she is all done!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• my son started using the potty right at 2 years old. We did the 3 day method and worked wonderful for us. He was fully potty trained day and night. We didn't use pull ups or anything like that we did undies and if they were dirty he hated it.
    Missy_Dye

Answer by Missy_Dye at 7:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Like Missy Dye, we went straight to undies... our daughter was 19, almost 20 months. It was a lot of clean-up for a few days, and then it's great! I don't agree that you have to wait until kids fully express that they're ready to go potty in a full sentence. You can help them learn just like you help them learn anything. It is recommended you wait until at least 18 months, though, when they become capable of bladder control (according to most experts).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:09 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• when sheis ready. some kids are ready early other not till they are three. if she can tell you when she has dirty her diaper, she is interested in the potty, you cna tell when she has to go or she tell you then is time. my dd was ready at 18 mts and now she is 32 mts and has been potty train since 24 mts and has been wearing undies only since 29 mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2009