Where in the bible does it say to ask Jesus into your heart and you will be saved?

Nowhere.... so why does everybody tell people to just ask Jesus into their hearts and they will be saved?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• cont

Though those actions alone aren't what does it. We aren't saved by our "good works", but, because we are saved, we should have a genuine desire to do them.

Sort of like taking care of someone doesn't mean you love them, but if you love them, then you're going to want to take care of them.

It truly is as simple as opening your heart to Him and accepting Him, but at the same time, it truly is that hard, because it has to be genuine. And you do get forgiven for past mistakes, no matter how long you did them, but that doesn't mean that God expects you to not have to accept the earthly consequences for those actions.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:27 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believes in Him shall not die, but shall have ever lasting life.

In other words, if you believe that Christ is the son of God, and that he died for your sins, then that is accepting Him into your heart. That is what saves you.

This is assuming that you believe in God. If you do not, then, with all due respect, there isn't any amount of posting here, showing you where in the bible it says this, because it's not going to change your mind. But, assuming that this was a legit question and not just an attack on a faith that you don't have, that's where it says it :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:17 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i hate the people who do wrong to everyone as steal from family, lie to everyone and make others lives misterable for their own pleasure and sleep around with every man with money - being a hooker basically and they sit back and say " im christian! im saved god forgives everything I do"
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 5:05 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i know many "christians" like this... and i thought catholics were nuts!
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 5:06 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Aren't Catholics technically Christian? Anyway, I'm with you. I was taught it takes more than to just accept Jesus....he has to accept you too. You have to repent and truly be sorry for your sins. I cant stand it when people give out those little booklets...."say these words out loud....yay! You're saved!" is anything in life that easy? No. So why would getting into heaven be that easy? Wish all I had to do was repeat some damned phrase to get my degree...
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 5:18 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Well, that's the thing. You have to accept it. If you truly accept it, then you accept that while you aren't perfect and will sin, you should be trying your best to NOT do it, because you know the price that was paid for those actions. You have to believe in Him, which means believing in what He teaches, and He teaches us to NOT do those things that were mentioned.

Please keep in mind that, just as you said, it takes more than repeating a phrase to make it so, there are also a lot of people who claim to be Christian, either because they go through the outward motions but haven't really accepted Him and believe, or because it's some sort of religious version of "other" - meaning, you aren't Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, Pagan, etc, so you must, by default, be Christian.

Me SAYING I'm the Queen of England doesn't make it so, no matter how many times I say it. I would need the actions to back it up...

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:24 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It always cracks me up when people say Catholics aren't Christians.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 5:34 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• And yes, I believe salvation is by grace alone.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 5:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I have not studied this in high school but as far as I remember "heart" is an incorrect literal translation to begin with. The seat of the emotions, in the time and culture in which the NT was written, is the bowels. It is translated as "heart" for modern-day people so that we may understand it better and relate it to our seat of the emotions which is the "heart." I know that this was true for several ancient cultures, I believe NT Judaism was one of them--but like I said, it's been a long time.

At any rate, "asking Jesus into your heart" is a Christian cliche`. It likely comes from verses where the seat of the emotions is mentioned such as "That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9. I believe it is an oversimplification that should be made when addressing children only (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Honestly, I don't understand what is so difficult about explaining to someone who wants to become a Christian the steps in Romans 10:9. I think using cliche`s to witness to other people can get confusing. Not everyone understands Christian jargon because not everyone was raised with it.

And not everyone who differentiates between Catholics and Protestants by referring to Protestants as "Christians" but no Catholics is saying Catholics aren't Christian :-) Catholicism is a specific label; it lets someone know exactly what belief system you're referring to. Non-Catholic denominations are NOT all Protestant and usually, "Christian" is a catch-all phrase used to refer to the "rest of us" lol.

At any rate, faith alone by grace alone saves. Good works are evident BECAUSE someone is saved and naturally will want to please God. "Christians" who do not desire to produce good works should reevaluate their claimed faith.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:39 AM on Nov. 16, 2009