Christians can we discuss a bible passage?

Luke 18:9-14 (King James Version) 9And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:  10Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.  11The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.  12I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.  13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.  14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Pretty powerful to me what are your thoughts and interpretations?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• 9-12He told his next story to some who were complacently pleased with themselves over their moral performance and looked down their noses at the common people: "Two men went up to the Temple to pray, one a Pharisee, the other a tax man. The Pharisee posed and prayed like this: 'Oh, God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, crooks, adulterers, or, heaven forbid, like this tax man. I fast twice a week and tithe on all my income.' 13"Meanwhile the tax man, slumped in the shadows, his face in his hands, not daring to look up, said, 'God, give mercy. Forgive me, a sinner.'" 14Jesus commented, "This tax man, not the other, went home made right with God. If you walk around with your nose in the air, you're going to end up flat on your face, but if you're content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself."

Love me the Message. Seems pretty clear-cut to me - shut up, pray, and work on myself.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 5:31 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It's all about humility. God is better able to work with the humble than with the proud. Pride feels it lacks nothing, humility knows it has nothing.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Wimsey I love The Message too!

The bible says humble yourself in the Lord and He will lift you up.
    The Pharisees were legalistic and arrogant in their day and Jesus knew that which is why He challenged them often and they hated Him for it.
    Humility is putting others before yourself and it is also surrendering yourself to Him so that you can be continually transformed from glory to glory everyday!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It says to me that those who think they are 'saved' because they have followed done something like said the believers prayer or accepted Jesus into their heart and know they don't have to worry, should worry. Those who 'know' they are saved and look down on others beliefs are like the Pharisee. Those who come on hear and 'feel sorry' for everyone else or just want to tell us the 'truth' about how wrong everyone else is are like the pharisee.

Anonymous

• To me it is about humilty AND not thinking we are any more rightouse then another human being. If we have so much as lied we have done soemthing just as bad as murder in God's eyes. All sin is equal I am no more rightouse then the serial killers we know are out there, then the pedophilesor the theives. I know this and I do ask for forgiveness but thank you for this story agian, because I feel we should be reminded that although we may be doign what God wants that' doesn't make us better.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It has to do with self-righteousness vs. humility. A humble heart who seeks God's righteousness vs. a heart who believes he has already attained it, stops seeking and looks down on others.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• When I became a christian at the age of 11, I searched for those who were humble and who would be a good example for me. I believe, in the almost 30 years I was in the church, I found exactly two people who fit this portrait of christian humility. NOT very encouraging. I wish you ladies better luck achieving this ideal.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 8:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I searched for those who were humble and who would be a good example for me. I believe, in the almost 30 years I was in the church, I found exactly two people who fit this portrait of christian humility. NOT very encouraging. I wish you ladies better luck achieving this ideal.

Were you one of them? Or were your standards just high for others and not yourself?
    Anonymous