Exclusively breastfeeding for almost 10 months with no return of period, can I get pregnant?

Okay, I know "technically" you can get pregnant at any time while breastfeeding, but in this case is it likely? My baby is still exclusively breastfed and refuses solids, but he doesn't always wake up at night to eat. I have not gotten my period back so I don't really know if I'm fertile or not. I'm only asking because hubby had a slip up tonight and I'm trying not to freak out. We usually use condoms but didn't tonight, and he's always been good about pulling out before, but I guess it was too much this time because he wasn't able to. I reeeeaaaally don't want another baby for a few more years lol. I think I know what everyone is going to say, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Tell me there's no way I can get pregnant!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh, I should also mention that I didn't get my period back for over a year when my first child was born, and he was not breastfed. I only had 3 periods when it did return and they where not regular. I think that was because of the birth control I had tried right after he was born, it really messed me up. I only tried 3 kinds and then never took any more, but my period never came back. So really, I've only had 3 periods since 2006 lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• The answer to your question - YES.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:11 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• you can get pregnant while breastfeeding and also you dont need to have a period to fall pregnant.
    Just thought i would also say that the pull out method is a sure way of getting pregnant. There is a thing called precum and you can get pregnant... go on the pill, use condoms.... thats the only way... or dont have sex at all... and then you definatly wont get pregnant
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Just take a test in 14 days to ease your mind and remind yourself that the chances of being pregnant, while not impossible, is very unlikely.
    yakamoz

Answer by yakamoz at 8:18 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It depends on your body, some people don't get pregnant while breastfeeding, but some people do. It is possible, but not always.

iLove.nml

Answer by iLove.nml at 8:25 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• yes it's possible. I got pregnant with my 3rd before I got my period after my 2nd while I was on the minipill and breastfeeding.

Answer by missanc at 8:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• YES, YES, YES! I have a 15 1/2 yr old dd who is 15 months younger than her almost 17 yr old brother to prove it...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:49 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Of course anything is possible, but i breastfed too & from what i was told from my Dr. that it is a lot harder to get pregnant while exclusively breastfeeding. Even in nature, some animals who breastfeed cannot get pregnant while they are nursing their young. Not all woman stop their period while breastfeeding, but mne stopped too. I did not have my period for 1 1/2 years. And even when i started to, it was very few & far between. If you are not having your period, then there is a slim chance that there is an egg waiting around in your uterus. But, the thing is....you will never know WHEN your body will begin dropping eggs again. Could be next year, could be next week. So, BE VERY CAREFUL! Don't let this mistake happen again.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:50 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• yep! I sure did at 4 months PP, with NO period, and on BC light (for breastfeeding moms) LOL
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 8:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Yes, you could be pregnant. There is always the chance that you had ovulated and were about to get your period this/next month--a period is a sign that you have ovulated and your cycle is starting over. Many women consider their first period their "warning sign" that they NOW can get pregnant; this is incorrect. LAM is only effective prior to 6 month post-partom.

Do I think it's likely that you're pregnant? No. I don't. But there isn't really anything you can do about it either unless you wanted to take the morning after pill because it's been less than 72 hours.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:56 AM on Nov. 16, 2009