Baby food, breast milk, formula, Puffs....!!! Where's the balance?

My DD just turned 6 months old. Her diet has a wide variety. I still breastfeed twice a day, she drinks formula with rice cereal, she eats jar baby food (mostly step 1 but a few step 2), biter biscuits, fresh fruit in a mesh pouch, and Graduates Puffs, Wheels, Yogurt Melts, and Cheddar Crunchies.
My question is: How much of what do I give her? How much formula does she need if she's eating all the other stuff? How much is too much baby food? She would eat all day long, if I let her! :) (no, she's not over weight, but she's in the 95th percentile for weight and the 97th for height)
She seems happy with how we're doing her feeding now and she's definitely healthy, I was just wondering if I'm balancing out allright...

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 9:02 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds fine... she should continue to get as much formula or breastmilk as before... it's the MOST important part of her diet... the other stuff is just practice.
    For the baby foods... give it to her 2-3 times/day
    The other things like the melts and puffs and such... treat them like chips. You wouldnt want her to fill up on chips or candy... they are just little treats or snacks... not a meal.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Sounds good to me, she's probably in a growth spurt and they always eat a TON during that. Dont' worry about her weight, fat babies do NOT make obesse children, that has more to do with genetics and family eating habbits etc.... She's getting healthy foods. With her having food, she probably doesnt' need any rice cereal if you are too worried
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:11 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Giving her a wide variety now will help her develop a love of many types of food! Just keep it going! I am convinced that good eating babies, if continued, will be healthy eating toddlers and then kids! Just make sure she is getting a good variety, introduce lots of fruits and veggies, and if she does not like them try them again later! Good Job Momma!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:19 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Sounds like you are doing great as long as you aren't giving her a lot of empty calories.
    All that food sounds so tiring on you though! I'm lucky so far my DD is almost 8 months and only takes the boob :) She's hates ALL baby foods.
    mychinababy

Answer by mychinababy at 9:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Oh man, my girl LOVES ALL FOOD!!! It's super cute. It doesn't take up my whole day, but only because she can feed herself the finger foods.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 9:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2009