How To Get A Pet To Stop ......

How do you keep your dog from shedding so much . ppl tell me itsbecause she is growing in her winter coat but she's been shedding since june and this is november .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Pets

• You can't really stop shedding. THere are things you can do so it is not so bad though. I highly recommend the furminator.  It is a bit pricey but so worth it, it pays for itself fairly quickly.   It does an excellant job of getting the undercoat and dead hair so they shed less.   They also have a shampoo that is supposed to strengthen the hair folicules but i can't say for sure it works. I have been using it on my flat-coat retreiver mix but i like the smelll more then anything.    Alao some breeds shed worse then others.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• What kind of dog is it a breed is your dog?with a denser(Labs,Goldens,Sheps etc) coat seem to shed more and you may want to invest in something called a Shedding Blade(sounds awful) to help remove the undercoat, and if it's a finer coat(Jack russells,Pugs,greyhounds, etc) there is something called a Curry Comb that helps with that type of hair.Other then that it could be dietary,seasonal issues and that you would have to bring up with your Vet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You can't stop shedding. Short hair dogs like labs shed all the time. Long hair dogs like yorkies shed very little.

What you can do is brush your dog daily. This way the hair is shedding into the brush and not on the floor. I have an attachment for my vacuum. I actually vacuum my lab to control the shedding.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Use a dog comb instead of brush and it helps a lot. Especially for the woolier coats. Instead of the furminator though, walmart sells something that seems to be the same thing, the furbuster I think its called, its cheaper, but honestly only works on some coats, doesn't seem to help my wooly coated dog. Feeding a good quality food will help a bit, but all dogs shed especially with seasons changing so there are only things that can help. Lots of brushing and good food are about it.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 12:05 AM on Dec. 24, 2009