Should I list my property as Section 8?

I am debating on listing my rental property as Section 8. So far I have had 2 tenanats within the past 2 years, and it seems that they can never pay on time or pay at all!!! I am tired of dealing with this BS. I need someone in my house that can pay on time, but won't tear the house apart. I know if I list as Section 8, I can count on my money being there the same time every month, but are Section 8 tenants respectful to the property. I am so stuck right now. I don't know what to do.

HisMomsADiva

Asked by HisMomsADiva at 9:41 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• section 8 ppl aren't scum.... 90% of them are good people that are in bad sits. single mother with kids usually..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I know that every section 8 person that I live around right now is scum, as far as their behviour goes. Up all hours of the night, loud, have their kids outside at 2 in the morning with hardly anything on, smoking pot around them, throwing beer bottles, fighting, cops coming all the time.... I live in a complex that takes section 8, and I will never apply for it. I do not want that stigma.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:47 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• ok thats why i said 90% there is still that 10% that is scum... but there are quite a few that are honest good people..im personally on it and far from scum, working only 20 hrs a week and a dead beat father,and i come home cook dinner and tuck my daughter in bed at night and relax at home, so im far from scum and i know quite a few like me, you just have to be VERY VERY picky about who rents from you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My grandmother rented her property to section 8 and the tenant happened to be a middle aged lady w/ no kids but she qualified b/c she couldn't work due to depression issues. (i dunno lol) but anyways. She didn't "tear" up the place. After being there for almost 2 yrs the carpet had to be replaced due to traffic coming in and out but that's expected. I don't think it's a bad idea chica, especially since you'll know you'll get payed every month. Also do a check of the place every month so you'll know that the house is still straight or not.
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 10:00 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I have 2 properties that are section 8, but I also asked that only the working section 8 be placed in it. In one property I have a widow, her mother and her 3 small children. She cleans houses during the day and waitresses at night. She's extremely anal about the house and has a no shoes on the carpet policy, which I love her for. In another property I have a family, mom, dad and 2 pre-teens. The moms works part time and the dad was paralyzed on a job. This was the 1st house I ever listed because it's ADA accessible and they have been in it for 3 years.

It's not a bad idea renting out to section 8, but I am picky with who I rent to. My property has never been torn up and that's why I will always allow those 2 tenants to stay there. They take care of it just as if it were their own.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 11:26 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I don't know much about section eight- but if you get to choose who you rent to then yeah I would look into it.

Also if you can still require certain things like a contract, background check etc. I think that would help. Just be smart about who you pick to live there.
    Anonymous

• NO! DON'T DO IT! I'm a property owner and have tenants but I will NEVER put my building as section 8! The state TELLS you what to do with your building-you have to go by THEIR guidelines and most of the section 8 people DO NOT respect your property. I know it sucks trying to find decent tenants who pay their rent but hang on and don't give in to section 8!
    lich663

Answer by lich663 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• No, I thought about doing it too. The on time rent was tempting. Result is you have 10 people living in a house made for 4. They don't pay for it then it gets trashed (I guess it does anyway) do you really want the state telling you what to do with your property? Neighbors also may be upset.
    Anonymous

• Section 8 is concerned with safety of the rental unit. They will check for working smoke detectors and come inspect twice per year. You really need a good lease and interview of any tenants before you rent and never feel sorry for anyone. If they give you a sob story not based on facts they will cause trouble. Also, they can be kicked off section 8 for drug use. I would look into it. We used to manage apartments and I think it depends on the person, not their economic status. Rich college kids tore up our property the worst. They put trash everywhere and busted the walls, doors, windows.
    Anonymous

• Also, if there are too many people living there they can be evicted with section 8.
    Anonymous