first vs second birth--weeks pregnant, length, intensity, pushing?

i know that no one can say whether i will have a shorter, less painful birth so i'm just asking for your experience. :)

1. how many weeks were you when you had your first/second babies?
2. how long were your first and second births?
3. how painful/intense?
4. how long was the pushing stage for each?
5. were there any big differences similarities, like your water broke before, or with one you lost your mucus plug and the other you didn't :) BH contractions, anything you want to share

thanks ladies just curious! i've just had the one but i'll answer for that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• --I'M OP--

1. 41 weeks
    2. about 10 hours early labor, 8 hours active labor, NO BH before 41 weeks.
    3. pretty intense and painful but manageable
    4. 1 hour of pushing, and very painful/frustrating

5. well my water broke that morning and i'm wondering if the same will happen again. i feel like that might be why my labor got intense fast and was relatively short. i feel like if my water doesn't break before labor begins, my labor might be longer this time, but not more painful. i'm also wondering if i'm less likely to have prelabor earlier than the night before since i didn't the first time, more likely since it's my second, or just 50/50. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• 1. how many weeks were you when you had your first/second babies?
    1st- 37 weeks 2nd-36 weeks

not sure what you mean here

3. how painful/intense?
    not too painful either time, had back labor with the 1st and belly labor with the 2nd

pushed for about an hour or so with 1st
    about 15 minutes with 2nd

5. were there any big differences similarities, like your water broke before, or with one you lost your mucus plug and the other you didn't :) BH contractions, anything you want to share:

water had to be broken both times but since i had back labor with my 1st i didn't know i was in labor, i went in for a check up and they told me
    with the 2nd i was at home and went into labor and it was a little more uncomfortable than with the 1st,
    also the epidural did not work with my 1st but was great with my
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i was 41+ weeks with #1 & 40 #2 40 #3

1st labor was 36 hrs, 2nd was 48, 3rd was almost 8 days (and it was hell)

i walked a lot with all of them, managed discomfort at home, and went to birthing facility only when it was necessary. as for pain, well... i seem to be just fine. no permanent damage! lol no drugs with any of them.

pushed 3 good times with #1 & 2, #3 i pushed (as i floated peacefully in a birth pool) for about 3 minutes.

water did not break with any of them # 2-3 were born "under the veil", had horrible back labor with #1 & 3. had BH with all of them starting around 30 weeks. lost my mucous plug with all, about 5-7 weeks before birth.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:08 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• *for about 30 minutes with #3. trying to type with him in my lap. lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:10 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• 1. 40 week and 41 weeks
    2. 14 hours and 8 hours
    3. "9" (on the scale of 1-10) and "2"
    4. 2 hours and 10 minutes
    5. water broke 8 days prior to labor starting and water broke with crowning baby
    I had a lot of changes in-between the births.   I became MUCH more informed & confident.   That totally affected the outcome for the better!   ;-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:18 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

-1st. 38 weeks 2 days
    -2nd 40 weeks 3 days (torture!)

-1st about 27 hours
    -2nd about 12 hours

3. how painful/intense?
    -Hard to say I had an epidural with the first at 5 cm, thought I was about that far along with the second but found out I was actually 9, almost 10 cm. So no epidural and it felt about the same as being at 5 cm with the first except that the contractions were really close together and there was a lot of pressure like I had to go to the bathroom.

-1st an hour and a half I think
    -2nd 3 pushes, so however long that was

-pretty much th
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I was going to say they were pretty much the same. I have with all 3 pregnancies had BH contractions starting pretty early on, 20 weeks or so.
    Both of my labors started with regular BH contractions, lost my mucus plug in the early stages of labor, with the first they broke my water at the hospital, with the second it broke when I was 10 cm and ready to push.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i was almost 39 weeks when i had my first she was 8 days early .... the labor was 23 hrs at the hospital and i labored at home for aboout 2-4 pushing about 1 hr rough lol ....
    My 2nd one i had her at at the end of 37 weeks she was 15 days early her labor was awsome it last 8 hr in the hospital and bout 1 hr at home i pushed for about 30 mins..

also what helped is my fisrt i went all natural and my 2en i had and epidural
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• 1. how many weeks were you when you had your first/second babies? First, I think 40. Second, so far only 5
    2. how long were your first and second births? My first was 13 hours. Not that long.
    3. how painful/intense? It was pretty painful but not that bad since I had an epi
    4. how long was the pushing stage for each? An hour or two.
    5. were there any big differences similarities, like your water broke before, or with one you lost your mucus plug and the other you didn't :) BH contractions, anything you want to share With my first I lost my mucus plug but they had to break my water.

I know I'm not much help but I'm curious too as to if it'll be different from the first.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:02 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• 1. how many weeks were you when you had your first/second babies? First I was 41 weeks 2 days, Second I was 40 weeks 2 days.

2. how long were your first and second births? First I was induced, start to finish was 13 hours. Second I went on my own, start to finish was 4 hours.

3. how painful/intense? First, again, was induced so that made it bad, I got an epi. Second I went all natural. Hurt like a mo-fo but it was doable. lol

4. how long was the pushing stage for each? First - 2 hours, Second - 4 pushes, I think 20minutes or so?

5. were there any big differences similarities, like your water broke before, or with one you lost your mucus plug and the other you didn't :) BH contractions, anything you want to share.

Obviously my 2nd was easier since he came on his own and didn't have to be forced out!
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 11:03 AM on Nov. 16, 2009