Info about chicken pox vaccination?

First, I am not trying to start drama with the vaccination debate. I have vaccinated both of my children up to this point. Later this week I have my son's 12 month check & I am thinking I want to skip the chicken pox vaccination.

I seem to be having trouble finding more information about it & how effective it may be, side effects, etc. I also seem to remember hearing that if you get the chicken pox after having the vaccine it's worse than if you didn't get the vax. If you have any sites with information I can read about this specific vaccination, please let me know!

Thanks!

PrincessBoo

Asked by PrincessBoo at 10:02 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Since it is a fairly new shot who knows how many boosters will be needed. They have already had to add one as the child gets older. Could be more added. My kids all got chicken pox from a friends children who were freshly vaccinated for it. They all were a bit itchy but now are done. My friends kids need another shot when they are older and may need another every so many years to protect them as adults. Does not seem worth it since most adults don't get boosters and getting Chicken Pox as an adult is more dangerous. Talk to your doctor about this and trust your gut. I am glad I trusted mine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• you're not going to find any info online that doesn't seem to tend on the side of paranoia, that is actual info. there is the CDC website. good luck with that. i know better than to trust % (stats) because of how hard it was for me to have documented what happened to my dd. they simply do not report adverse reactions...

personal account, my dd had it, and had recurrent chicken pox three times- from the vaccine. i went through hell getting her ped to document it, and she was miserable.
    bottom line, kids you hear about having complications from chicken pox, is because of their parents negligence. if the child is cared for, the risk of any lasting ill effects is slim, especially before they hit puberty... its your call. personally, i would skip it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• pp_ it is NOT fairly new. it has been around for decades (my 40 year old brother got it when he was 5) it has simply undergone revisions "improvements" and been renamed, but is still vaxing the same virus.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:25 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• ObbyDobbie, I'm okay with sites that feel strongly one way or the other. I'm looking for first or second hand accounts like yours though, not the "friend of a neighbor of someone my sister went to school with", where it's been through so many people you don't know how reliable it is anymore.

I also thought the vax was newer than that, I'm in my 20s and never got the shot. Only got chicken pox the once & it wasn't that bad, that's why I'm curious about the need for a vax for it.
    PrincessBoo

Answer by PrincessBoo at 10:37 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I have a problem with this vaccine as well. I find it stupid to vaccinate your child against the chicken pox since the majority of the time, its very mild. I said FOR SURE I was not going to get my son vaccinated for the chicken pox but then I found out its required for school in Indiana! So imagine my frustration. I could not understand for the life of me why the chicken pox vaccine is required for school! I mean serious who cares about the chicken pox?! Its hardly ever serious. Well my son's pediatrician told me that by the time you realize you have the chicken pox, you could have potentially infected your whole class, so I guess that's why. BS in my opinion but whatever. I DID hear though that getting the vaccine does not eliminate your chance of getting the chicken pox so wth is the point? If you can still get the CP then why get the vaccine? That's all the info I know about it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• The varicella vaccine was licensed in the US in 1995.  (MMRV came out in 05. <--me not like)  My ds was born in 1999 and received the single shot, before he was 2yrs old I think, and then a booster a couple of years later. He hasn't gotten the chicken pox, and from what I know, those that do, (all expect rare exceptions) get a lighter case of them. I remember having them as a kid and was MISERABLE! It is a live, weakened virus. There are always those who should not take it of course. This is a personal decision left up to the parents. Here is a link I found that has links in it.. Looks to be more informative rather than biased in my opinion. Neither contain thimerosal which some have huge debates about.. (can of worms I am NOT opening today..) http://www.immunizationinfo.org/vaccineInfo/vaccine_detail.cfv?id=11  

Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 11:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• If you have the vaccine, you MIGHT contract a LIGHTER case of the chicken pox IF you contract it at all.

And schools do require it now. So you'll have to explain why you're being selective, that's all.
    Anonymous

• Ash9724, you actually don't need to get it in Indiana (I live in IN too!). I checked on that as one of my first things & you either need to get it or sign a statement saying why you didn't or that both parents have had chicken pox. That information is directly from the State Board of Education, so if you were told your district "requires" it, they didn't tell you the whole truth.

Melindakc, thanks for the link, I'm going to go start reading!
    PrincessBoo

Answer by PrincessBoo at 12:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Both my kids have the chicken pox vaccines and get the boosters for it, they never had any problems and they've both been exposed to chicken pox since the shots, they've never had it. My neice got the chicken pox after being exposed to the virus several months after her vax, but she only had like 5 or 6 pox so she had a very light case of it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2009