hes starting to bite

hes four months and has been teething for a while now. when he eats, if i dont switch sides in his liking, like when hes ready, he will bite me to let me know. i asked a pediatrician and she said when he daughter bit her, she took her away for 10 minutes then let her back on and she never bit again. but i tried this. if i take him away, he doesnt mind. he waits then eats when i let him back on and still bites me. what can i do? i mean, it doesnt hurt really bad, but it does hurt. please give me helpful advise iam in desperate need

krisew90

Asked by krisew90 at 10:08 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take him off and tell him "no biting, ouchy" very sternly (he may not get the words, but he will get the tone). Then don't nurse again until he asks again. Keep doing that, he will get the message soon enough. You can also try acting like you're sad or crying, sometimes that emotion works better.

Also, make sure he's really hungry when you nurse. My baby did that when he was bored and done nursing. You can also pull his head in towards you when he bites to release him without pain.

Some babies stop after one or two times... some take a couple weeks to "get it". I've had one of each.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:36 AM on Nov. 16, 2009