potty training need help

my son 3and a half is still wearing pullups he refuses to g to his potty he has went in the past but not much ive tried stickers,suckers,praising him,scolding him, making him sit on it for a few minutes each day up to 3 times a day still no interest. my other 2 kids were way easier.any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He may not be ready or he is using this to have some control in his life. Is anything big or small going on? I would completly back off to the point of ignoring it for a few days and see what happens.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My oldest did this until after he was three also. i knew he could do it, but honestly i think he was just being lazy. I sat him down one day , told him I was taking away the pull-ups and if he wanted to go to the bathroom he needed to use the toilet. It worked and he started going to the toilet. He is now 6 and he has never even wet the bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I would pick a day and tell him that day all the diapers will be gone. Take him with you to throw them away (you can later get them out and give them away or save them for another child; it's a symbolic gesture), make a big production. No pull ups! He won't go in the potty because he doesn't have to! You may want to keep him home for a couple of days, and put him in underwear and a sweatshirt. Remind him that if he has to pee or poo, it goes in the potty. If he starts to have an accident, move him to the potty. Don't make a big deal or scold him, just firmly remind him that's where it goes. If a little makes it in, give him a small reward. Also, he's old enough you can have him help "clean up" (again, symbolic gesture, you don't have to have him handling poop), It will take not time, I can almost guarantee, as long as you're consistent and don't give in to the temptation to throw a pull-up on him.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:51 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• sorry for the typo -- I meant to say "it will take NO time..."
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:52 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I totally agree with the PP's. Buy him fun character undies. Make a big deal - no more diapers!! You are a big boy!!! Put him on the potty every half hour or so the first day. Make a big deal about it. Accidents will happen. He has to learn how it feels. The next day you should see a great improvement. The 3rd day he will probably be trained. Try to stay home for 3 days. Don't worry about night time for now. Use pull-ups at night. All of mine were 3 when they trained, and it was fast because their bodies were so ready.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Take a break. Take a week off. Start again. Potty training is one of the things in their little lives they have total control over. They have little regressions as they move forward in other areas of their development. Don't get frustrated. They love praise. Seriously, take a week off or longer if needed. Its a small setback.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2009