How did you fall in love?

Was it love at first sight or a friendship that grew into something more? I've actually fallen in love twice, once it was a friendship that grew and the other was love at first sight. The love at first sight has about killed me, it was so intense. My heart is shattered right now. The other one didn't last but it didn't hurt anywhere near what this is. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't believe in love at first sight.

DH and I were always attracted to each other but until the circumstances were right, nothing ever happened. We knew each other for years and were always pals. Then one night, he came over to the house and we stayed up all night talking. That was a Monday, we saw each other the next afternoon and by that Thursday we were living together. Shazam! So it seemed very quick to the outside world, but it was aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages in real life.

Tomorrow is our eight year anniversary and I have never been happier. We fall more in love with each other every day, but aren't afraid to tease each other. He is goofy, I am a nutball and our children are much cooler than we will ever be (not a very high bar set there, obvs.)

I think "love at first sight" is not falling in love with the person-as-they-really-are but rather falling in the love with the person you THINK they are.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:57 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• There is not love at first sight it is infatuation and lust at first sight. It starts out intense and fizzles out quickly. There is usually no substance since the couple does not know each other so once that initial heat cools down they have nothing and don't last. Usually devastating for one of the people since they still might have that infatuation.

I met my husband we became very good friends and hung out all the time. One night he just kissed me and we have been together since. We knew we loved each other pretty soon after that. We had been friends for nearly 6 years so we knew each other very well. I am glad I opened my heart to him he is my only real love. I thought I was in love other times but after experiencing this I know they were not love just wishful thinking. The real thing is so different.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Love at first sight can and does happen. My parents met, had their first date and moved in together all on the day they met, and have been happily married for 33 yrs and 2 kids, 1 of which died soon after birth.

I met him online, we talked for quite some time before meeting. Had our first date at a local lake, sat and talked for hours. When it was time to leave, he hugged me and I just felt so secure in his arms, and the thought crossed my mind that I could easily love this man. Then, he kissed me, and I knew that I would. So, I guess it was kind of a combo of both, we were friends that hadn't met, and then when we did meet, it was pretty instant.
    Anonymous