WIth or without the epideral?

Have you ever gone into labor with the epideral and have you ever gone without?
Which was better? Was it painful without?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 11:07 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i had epiderals with all my kids but one..and that was with my 6th child. (i have 7 kids) i would say it is VERY painful without.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Labor is going to be painful to some extent without one. I didn't have one until I had a c section, and it didn't work during it. Sometimes they give them too early and they wear off before you actually start to push. And on some people they just don't work. Think about it before you get one because having one ups your chances of having a c section.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i'm not very helpful because i've only had the 1 without epidural. it was painful but very manageable and i'm so glad i went natural so i didn't have to have a needle in my back, catheter up my who-ha, and could walk during and afterwards :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i had 1 with 1st child it did not work 2nd child i did get one but i was 8 cm when i did .. and it workd it was awesome . i reccomend it
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 11:19 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My first I went with out. The pain was very bad. With my second I had to be induced, so I ended up with the epideral. I didn't like the needle in my back but I felt no pain after that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• No epidurals, 3 babies, 1 induced.

I later found out I couldn't have had one if I wanted. The bones in my spine are too close together. I had a high fever and multiple doctors couldn't do a spinal tap. They had to call a radiologist in the middle of the night and I had to have the spinal tap done in the X-ray department to guide a thin needle between my tight bones.

Not everyone can get an epidural. You may not find out until you are in labor. My niece couldn't get one either because of a back surgery she had. She hadn't taken childbirth classes and had a horrible birth experience.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:19 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I had two without any pain meds at all. I never had one with, so I can't tell you what that is like. I can tell you that it is very doable without.....I founfd that transition was the worst and that only lasted about 30 minutes.....the rest of the labor is not as bad as people had told me it would be...it is definetly uncomfortable, but once the baby was out, I did truly forget the pain.
    mommy2bella

Answer by mommy2bella at 11:22 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I had one with my first and it did wear off and even after another dose it wore off during delivery cause I started to feel my legs again and I could definitely feel myself pushing the baby out. I'm just worried because where I live, I keep hearing that it's hard to get one at the hospital. So I'm just wondering how bad it is without the epideral.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:24 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I had one with my first. I was about 7cm dilated when they told me it was now or never, and I kind of chickened out and got it. It was nice for a while, I wasn't such a moody bitch lol! But then I couldn't feel myself push. I ended up having a c section anyway. This time I am definitely going to try it naturally!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:27 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• actually having one lowers the risk of a csection because it helps your body relax and let labor happen so the babies heart rate stays normal and they all wear off before you push so you can push you wont feel anything down there just some contractions defeats the purpose it seems huh lol but i had one and i loved it i tried to deal for 6hrs wasnt happening after i got it i slept and got my energy up for the pushing..it's your choice you always have that option either way you go GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2009