What do you think about NOT opening presents at a bday party?

The place where i am thinking about having my daughter's 4th bday party discourages you from opening presents there. I think they think it takes time away from the slides & bouncers. I feel like it is a little rude to not open the presents. That is the birthday childs and most of the guests favorite part of a party & some people may want to see her open there present!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't have my child's birthday party there. If Im paying for the party to be there, I'm going to do what I please.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• At my dd 2nd bday i didnt ipen presenst. except this stupid lil girl went into my room withput my permission and open all of my dd presenst whikle we were outside!! i was so pissed and the mom was so embarassed. it was the last time i ever invited them to my house. they broke toys, made a mess it was bad
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:38 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I think you should be able to open presents when you want to. If they are going to hinder that then Id find another place.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:38 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• The kids look forward to opening the presents and seeing them opened. The parents of the children attending want to know if the receiving child like the presents. While it shouldn't be the main focus of the celebration, its one of the highlights of the gathering. Hats off to you for wanting to celebrate the day and provide tons of fun for your child and their friends though. I guess you could maybe open them right before everyone goes home so it wouldn't interfere if you want to include that part?
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:42 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• growing up, my mother asked that our friends make donations in our name to local charities of our choosing. It was neat because she would have us write a letter about why we chose the carity and what a difference that $10 present could make for the cause. we would include the letter in the invitation.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• That's messed up, and takes away from your kids birthday party and I wouldn't have it there if that's how they are!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I think you should ppen presents there. I usually have a giving chair and a bday girl chair. I will pick up a gift off the table and the child that brought it will come up and hold their gift and sit in the chair and give it to my dd. Then she rememberes who gave her the gift and the kids really enjoy giving the gift. It has made it more fun for the giver and more meaningful to the reciever.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• No one opens the presents at the parties any more. I mean at all my daughters parties last year in Kindergarten (12 parties), not one of them opened presents at the party. The parties are only 2 hours these days. It would take over an hour to open the presents while all the other kids got bored. Just have the party, let everyone have a great time and open them when you get home. I guess the only way to open them would be to have the party at home.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:59 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• If it's a family party, go ahead and open the gifts.

If it's a kids party - let them play. For $250, we're bouncing until we drop! Plus, opening gifts in a relaxed environment allows you to remember who gave what and THAT makes the thank-you notes so much easier!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I had my son's party at a place with jumpers and slides and we opened up the presents when everyone moved into the room where we ate. I also think that people want to see the child open the gift they gave them, maybe some don't. But if you want it a part of your party, I say look for a different place. You are paying them, so you should be able to open the gifts there. The place we went to even gave us thank you cards to give to the guests.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2009