Pain medicine while pregnant?

I had spinal surgery in August 2009 for a herniated disk in my neck. Since becoming pregnant, the pain in my neck (no pun intended. lol.) has gotten increasingly worse. It causes pain all the way down my spine an has also triggered my migraines with a vengeance.
I went back to my orthopedist, the same dr. that performed my previous surgery, and he found that the disk below the one that I had surgery to fix is now herniated. Well, that explains the pain, but I refuse to have that surgery ever again, much less now that I am 17 weeks pregnant.
He prescribed me Percocet and told me to take 5 mg. twice a day. He said that it was totally safe at this point in pregnancy. That REALLY surprised me and obviously worries me. I did some research and everything that I have found confirms what he said. I am still not convinced.
Has anyone else been prescribed or taken pain medicine while pregnant? If not, what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I broke my arm while pregnant and blessed every little pain pill I took.

Sometimes it's OK to believe your doctor!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Talk to your OBGYN
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• First off all, I dont know what "research" you have done but you are wrong!! Percocet is in pregnancy category C which means that they do not know if it will harm the baby or not. So saying you confirmed what he said about it being safe really confuses me! Where did you do your research?

Having said that... I was on percocet with pregnancy #2 and vicodin (also pregnancy cat C) with pregnancy #1. So I know that sometimes you need to do what you need to do to not be in pain. I know alot of mommy's are not going to agree with me but i would have been unable to function if I would have been in the type of pain that I was in with both my kids. With my son, I only needed the vicodin about 1 day a week (maybe 3 pills during the day) but with my DD I was on percocet every 6 hours (1 1/2 pills each time) for 2 weeks at the end of my pregnancy
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:47 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• percocets are fine during pregnancy and bfing i know because i took them during both and my son is perfect during bfingit makes the baby sleepy thats it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Jaydin Makenna-
    I am the OP.
    I know that there are sometimes some conflicting answers on the internet, that's why I wanted to ask on here. I checked a couple different sites after googling "safety of meds while pregnant". I am not positive which three I checked. I will go back and check and repost.
    Thank you for your honesty and advice in your answer, I appreciate it.
    I hope that you are not experiencing the pain that you were having any longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I usually prefer to look for more natural alternatives, like acupuncture or chiropractic care. These can help and might be more relief than drugs.
    (I prefer to birth drug-free so I try to have my pregnancy drug-free, too.)
    Good luck!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• OP-
    I had gall stones with my son and was induced at 37 weeks and had my gall bladder removed so nope... no more pain in that area:)

As for my daughter... she was low in the birth canal for too long (+2 station at 36 weeks) and my pelvic cartiledge separated and I could hardly move. As soon as I had her and my pelvic bone moved back (I would say about 6 weeks) the pain was gone. I am 31 weeks pregnant now and I am afraid it might happen again!

Dont google "safety of meds" google "Percocet pregnancy category" and then google "Pregnancy categories" that way you can see what it actually could do. LIke I said though... I am in NO WAY judging you for taking (or thinking about taking) the meds, regardless of their potential risks becuase I did the same thing
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i was givin vicoden during my pregnancy.. my doc said that it was ok.. i dont know about perks though.. i just know that they said it was ok to take it just not in the last trimester because it can have a bad side effect when you go into labor. my doc said that i needed to not be in pain cause i would stress and put stress on the baby! talk to your ob.. and make sure! good luck
    jannaboo

Answer by jannaboo at 1:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2009